Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Pro

Default WhatsApp or Ping!?!?!?

So I just downloaded both of these apps that allow BBM style chats with other iPhone users. Ping! is brand new, free for a time. Question is, anyone using any of these give me their opinion. I can't see a benefit to either, but other with more use may know better...thanks
    MacBook 6,1 Late 09 Model
    iPhone 4 16GB JB'd
    iPad 16 GB 3G+WiFi
    Follow me on Twitter @CFFlack
    Tip my scale if I helped ya or was just being a good dude as usual.
    BLu
    iPhone Beginner

Global Posts
    653 Global Posts

Whatsapp is pretty damn good. I've just downloaded Ping too and will check it out. The one thing I can see it has over & above whatsapp is the fact you don't need to divulge your phone number, just a user name. Hopefully the 'feel' of the app is good,but I've only just sent out a load of invites so still have no contacts with whom to check it out!
    Can't complain about the price though eh?!
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    2,303 Global Posts

im in the same boat. ive got no other contacts yet. i like being able to use a username with ping though instead of phone number as well.
    App and photo editor

Global Posts
    1,466 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

Ping is already no longer free... lame. I haven't had any problems with WhatsApp, but I do like how Ping doesn't make you share your phone number. I may check it out... we'll see.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

I like being able to retain some privacy, so Ping has that in its favor. However, WhatsApp will be adding support so that their BB users can chat with their iPhone users, and that's huge.
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    2,303 Global Posts

that is big alli! ive been chatting with blu who is in the uk and im in the us on ping with no issues at all! i just wish there was a contacts list or favorites or something in ping. seems like you have to make a new phone contact keep the actual contact info. i like how blackberry messenger has the contacts within the actual app.
    iPhone Nanite

i like whatsapp can you guess why? lol...

edit: i think ping is a great app and it is always nice to have a dose of healthy competition. but let me elaborate more on what i see advantage of whatsapp are:

- it is free.
    - it tells you when somebody is online/typing a response.
    - you can create and share a status with your friends (and if they chose so, they can get notified of your status changes)
    - no pins/usernames to remember (i see it as advantage, but some others don't
    - landscape mode (coming in next version)
    - native iPhone look and feel (we tried to make our app look like a native app to make it easier for people to use)
    Last edited by whatsapp; 09-25-2009 at 05:21 PM.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    2,461 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Quote Originally Posted by llofte View Post
    Ping is already no longer free... lame. I haven't had any problems with WhatsApp, but I do like how Ping doesn't make you share your phone number. I may check it out... we'll see.
    I just downloaded it and it was still free.
    Twitter: @codemonkeycodes / website: www.codemonkeycodes.com & www.jeremyandbrooke.com
    Married 9/4/11
    iPhone 5 32GB : ~= 5/10/10 RIP Dad, Forever in our hearts =~
    iMore Expert

Global Posts
    870 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS6

I have been using WhatsApp. Just downloaded Ping today and have been playing with it. It is nice with the user name and all but I am not sure that I do not like WA a bit better. The UI seems nicer and smoother, IMO. I am sure tha I will be using both though!
    JB iPhone 3G => 16G iPhone 4 iOS5, 16G iPad1 iOS5 => iP5 32Gig White, iPad4 32Gig Black

Also up and running on Twitter @AUDad

Also on Google+ if you are on there.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    2,215 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    I like being able to retain some privacy, so Ping has that in its favor. However, WhatsApp will be adding support so that their BB users can chat with their iPhone users, and that's huge.
    +1 on this. Plus, they said in a future release that will be able to support file transfer, ala mms style messaging.
    Gimme a vector, Victor. I'm coming home. Roger, Roger. Huh?
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    2,215 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

I have Ping as well and if anyone wants to ping me, I'm ctt1wbw on there. How original...
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    2,215 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

I think WhatsApp is a bit more polished and I like the Facebook integration as well. I'll keep both since they're free.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    409 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
    I have Ping as well and if anyone wants to ping me, I'm ctt1wbw on there. How original...
    haha don't feel bad, My ping username is geeanywhere so how original is that. I say we all should get ping and use the username to identify whom you are chatting with.

BTW. Whatsapp kinda scares me if stalker were to be named since we share phone numbers.
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,777 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I'm really on the fence with ALL chat type applications on the iPhone. I hate how sometimes my party does not receive my message(s).

Anyway, for now, I like Ping!, i.e. the speed in which it opens, I love WhatsApp for the interface.

So, if WhatsApp can increase the opening speed, and be consistent in delivering messages, I think we have a winner...
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    409 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by naviwilliams View Post
    I'm really on the fence with ALL chat type applications on the iPhone. I hate how sometimes my party does not receive my message(s).

Anyway, for now, I like Ping!, i.e. the speed in which it opens, I love WhatsApp for the interface.

So, if WhatsApp can increase the opening speed, and be consistent in delivering messages, I think we have a winner...
    I guess it matters on conflict of interest cause both are good. Just whatsapp, I have to disclose my number and it can be tricky. As Ping! I just disclose my username.
    iMore Guru

Global Posts
    2,215 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

True, but when you sms or mms someone on the iPhone, they have to have your cell number and you have to have theirs. So it's the same.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    409 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
    True, but when you sms or mms someone on the iPhone, they have to have your cell number and you have to have theirs. So it's the same.
    Agreeable. but those SMS/MMS people you know or getting to know so to make friends, you have to slowly get to know them.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

We do? So I shouldn't have blindly given ctt1wbw and naviwilliams my phone number to use with WhatsApp?

Darn.
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,777 Global Posts
    iOS Version

LOL - hilarious...

Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    We do? So I shouldn't have blindly given ctt1wbw and naviwilliams my phone number to use with WhatsApp?

Darn.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,605 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Both are good apps. I like Ping alot better just on the no cell number needed factor alone. Hopefully future releases will add contact buddy lists but it's a start. Feel free to add me. My username is liliken.
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,777 Global Posts
    iOS Version

With Ping!, you have to remember a users ID. If I have someone in my Contacts\Address Book, and have linked them to Ping!, I should be able to select the persons, REAL NAME to thus start a chat conversation...

I'm just saying
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,605 Global Posts
    iOS Version

I just put them in my addressbook as "ping username" so that way all of my ping friends are together in my addressbook.
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,777 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Hmm, not a bad idea. But, when starting a chat, don't you still have to go a check the persons ID (if you don't recall it), then start typing said ID in the To field in Ping!?

Quote Originally Posted by li2327 View Post
    I just put them in my addressbook as "ping username" so that way all of my ping friends are together in my addressbook.
    iMore Intermediate

Global Posts
    1,605 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Yes. That's why I put ping then their username because I know I won't remember them all.
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,777 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Wait, my ID is not in your list? Just kidding...

Quote Originally Posted by li2327 View Post
    Yes. That's why I put ping then their username because I know I won't remember them all.
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast