WhatsApp or Ping!?!?!?

touchyphone

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
So I just downloaded both of these apps that allow BBM style chats with other iPhone users. Ping! is brand new, free for a time. Question is, anyone using any of these give me their opinion. I can't see a benefit to either, but other with more use may know better...thanks

BLu

Aug 24, 2009
Visit site
Whatsapp is pretty damn good. I've just downloaded Ping too and will check it out. The one thing I can see it has over & above whatsapp is the fact you don't need to divulge your phone number, just a user name. Hopefully the 'feel' of the app is good,but I've only just sent out a load of invites so still have no contacts with whom to check it out!
Can't complain about the price though eh?!

cobra302

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
im in the same boat. ive got no other contacts yet. i like being able to use a username with ping though instead of phone number as well.

Leanna Lofte

App and photo editor
Sep 7, 2008
Visit site
Ping is already no longer free... lame. I haven't had any problems with WhatsApp, but I do like how Ping doesn't make you share your phone number. I may check it out... we'll see.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
I like being able to retain some privacy, so Ping has that in its favor. However, WhatsApp will be adding support so that their BB users can chat with their iPhone users, and that's huge.

cobra302

Sep 24, 2008
Visit site
that is big alli! ive been chatting with blu who is in the uk and im in the us on ping with no issues at all! i just wish there was a contacts list or favorites or something in ping. seems like you have to make a new phone contact keep the actual contact info. i like how blackberry messenger has the contacts within the actual app.

whatsapp#IM

Sep 14, 2009
Visit site
i like whatsapp:) can you guess why? lol...

edit: i think ping is a great app and it is always nice to have a dose of healthy competition. but let me elaborate more on what i see advantage of whatsapp are:

- it is free.
- it tells you when somebody is online/typing a response.
- you can create and share a status with your friends (and if they chose so, they can get notified of your status changes)
- no pins/usernames to remember (i see it as advantage, but some others don't:)
- landscape mode (coming in next version)
- native iPhone look and feel (we tried to make our app look like a native app to make it easier for people to use)

Last edited:

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
I have been using WhatsApp. Just downloaded Ping today and have been playing with it. It is nice with the user name and all but I am not sure that I do not like WA a bit better. The UI seems nicer and smoother, IMO. I am sure tha I will be using both though!:p:rolleyes:

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
I like being able to retain some privacy, so Ping has that in its favor. However, WhatsApp will be adding support so that their BB users can chat with their iPhone users, and that's huge.

+1 on this. Plus, they said in a future release that will be able to support file transfer, ala mms style messaging.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
I think WhatsApp is a bit more polished and I like the Facebook integration as well. I'll keep both since they're free.

geeanywhere

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
I have Ping as well and if anyone wants to ping me, I'm ctt1wbw on there. How original... :)

haha don't feel bad, My ping username is geeanywhere so how original is that. I say we all should get ping and use the username to identify whom you are chatting with.

BTW. Whatsapp kinda scares me if stalker were to be named since we share phone numbers.

anon(153966)

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
I'm really on the fence with ALL chat type applications on the iPhone. I hate how sometimes my party does not receive my message(s).

Anyway, for now, I like Ping!, i.e. the speed in which it opens, I love WhatsApp for the interface.

So, if WhatsApp can increase the opening speed, and be consistent in delivering messages, I think we have a winner...

geeanywhere

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
I'm really on the fence with ALL chat type applications on the iPhone. I hate how sometimes my party does not receive my message(s).

Anyway, for now, I like Ping!, i.e. the speed in which it opens, I love WhatsApp for the interface.

So, if WhatsApp can increase the opening speed, and be consistent in delivering messages, I think we have a winner...

I guess it matters on conflict of interest cause both are good. Just whatsapp, I have to disclose my number and it can be tricky. As Ping! I just disclose my username.

ctt1wbw

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
True, but when you sms or mms someone on the iPhone, they have to have your cell number and you have to have theirs. So it's the same.

geeanywhere

Jun 27, 2009
Visit site
True, but when you sms or mms someone on the iPhone, they have to have your cell number and you have to have theirs. So it's the same.

Agreeable. but those SMS/MMS people you know or getting to know so to make friends, you have to slowly get to know them.

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
We do? So I shouldn't have blindly given ctt1wbw and naviwilliams my phone number to use with WhatsApp?

Darn.

li2327

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Both are good apps. I like Ping alot better just on the no cell number needed factor alone. Hopefully future releases will add contact buddy lists but it's a start. Feel free to add me. My username is liliken.