Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Guru

1,522 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,608 Global Posts

Default Review: Pass the Pigs

Pass the Pigs, by THQ Wireless
    ***1/2, $2.99

• Pass the Pigs!
    • Good interface

• Rewards less than thrilling
    • Graphics aren't that great

Pass the pigs...an odd dice game that I first was introduced to about 10 years ago by my sister. It's an odd concept for those that aren't familiar with it - instead of dice, you use, well...pigs. You rack up points by getting various combinations of how the pigs land (double trotter, razorback, etc). But be careful, some combinations result in losing all your points and losing your turn.

You take turns with the other players, trying to reach 100 points. You can play against the iPhone or against other players (pass the iPhone mode) with up to four players. As you play, you can achieve various statistical goals and unlock "hats". The hats are displayed as the pig avatars you get to use when playing the game. I was under-impressed with these rewards. I mean, trophies and such aren't much better, but at least you got a clear reward for achieving some goal.

The game play is fun. You can use the iPhone and "flick" to throw the pigs or you can shake the iPhone. Either way, it is then luck to see how the pigs land. There are a variety of scoring methods, but the most common is trying to get to 100 points before your opponents. The graphics are okay, but they almost seem a little simplistic, like it was imported from an early PC game or something.

All in all, the game is fun, but unless you are familiar with it you may not have too much fun with this game. The primary enjoyment is the oddity of playing dice with pigs, but it can be a fun party type game with multiple people. At $2.99, the price isn't bad, but the game doesn't quite meet my expectations at that price. Three and a half out of four stars.

Rating scale:

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
    ** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
    *** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
    **** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
    ***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benefits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating.