Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Intermediate

160 Posts
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts

Default Navigon route types

Does anyone know the difference between "optimum" mode and "fast" mode under route types? I'm assuming optimum has something to do with traffic, but I don't see how it can work without real-time traffic info.

Also has anyone been able to fine a user guide for this app?

Thanks in advance.
    iPhone Beginner

73 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,148 Global Posts

I can't tell you precisely... but the competing factors for routing are usually time and distance. I read "optimum" as a balance between the two. And in practice I have noticed that where I know certain routes are more distance efficient but slower optimum will sometimes favor one path or the other depending on my direction of travel -- pretty freaky, but fun.

If you get the traffic add-on (I have) the fun part is that it factors the slow-downs into this calculation. So while it might not normally select a route for "optimum" in clear traffic, with sufficiently slower travel on the longer (assume highway) route, it will flip over and prefer the shorter distance instead. It works fairly well in practice. I've even had it select a slightly longer highway route (taking me out of my way a bit) because it knows traffic is traveling faster on that route and I will get there sooner.
    iPhone Elite

1,986 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,026 Global Posts

ask each company