App Store Categories - My OCD Gripe of the day.

xultar

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Can some one explain to me how come apps like

Dish Pointer

iTimer Camera
Craigs Mobile list
Ghost Radar
Bizarre Sex Laws
AtHome Camera
All the alarm clocks
Offender Locator
Most Wanted
Molecules
Now
Knot Guide
Stick It
Moon Phases
Prime Pimpin Hour...and all the other BS apps

END UP IN THE FREAKING UTILITIES CATEGORY?

Seriously. Utilities is for serious stuff like um memory, file sharing, IP stuff,
the section should be short because Apple won't let many apps through that impact things that come under utilities.

This issue in the app store drives me nuts. Categories are a mess and make it difficult to find stuff.

Pat

Mar 31, 2009
Visit site
app store mess

couldn't agree more. this has been an issue since the beginning. it is almost impossible to find anything because the categories are so limited. perhaps if we keep registering complaints they will eventually address this problem. i have written to apple many times - - so let's keep the pressure on . . .

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
utility. as in utilitarian

"the greatest happiness for the greatest number of people".

seems to me like IP stuff wouldn't fit this requirement any more than some "Offender Locator"

the problem is less the categories but a need for subcategories like in games

xultar

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
utility. as in utilitarian

"the greatest happiness for the greatest number of people".

seems to me like IP stuff wouldn't fit this requirement any more than some "Offender Locator"

the problem is less the categories but a need for subcategories like in games

"utility. as in utilitarian"...Are you serious? ROFL.
In the computer/tech world don't we define utilities as tools or software to assist with the basic function of a computer?
I mean use PC Magizine's Ultimate Utility Guide as an example. Tee hee hee I can guarantee that nothing in there qualifies for "the greatest happiness for the greatest number of people". (that would be games)

Seriously then, where would you put an app that deals with Internet Protocol (IP)stuff

Look @ Handango, and check out their utilities category, they are all apps that help you make your device function better...so an IP or an app that deals with helping you find out the IP address of your phone or the IP address of your WiFi connection...is a utility. Not the offender locator. How is that going to help you make your phone better.

Look on any retail site under software and check the Utility category and tell me where "utility. as in utilitarian "the greatest happiness for the greatest number of people". fits in...and then apply that to the Offender Locator and an IP, FTP, memory type related app.

Which one fits?

In the categories they have now IP related stuff would only fit under utilities.

Last edited:

Pat

Mar 31, 2009
Visit site
App store listing categories

I think developers pick the category. I do agree there are some that are kind of strange.

Apple has set the categories. They have selected only 20 some odd categories and developers are forced to work within the confines of those categories - hence apps end up in categories that are completely unrelated to the subject material. the more we all complain about it to Apple - - the sooner it will be addressed. let's keep the pressure on . . . . .

jburke82#IM

Sep 11, 2009
Visit site
Even in the games category, you will find one game in many different categories. I know some games are harder to categorize, but I wish it were a bit more accurate