App for controling your desktop/PC from your iPhone when you're away from home?

Larzo#IM

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Thanks! When you're running a remote desktop on your phone from elsewhere. Would you be able to hypothetically download files to your desktop at home off the internet from your phone?

big9erfan

Jun 2, 2009
Visit site
A remote desktop type connection allows you to do anything you'd normally do on your computer as if you were sitting in front of it. So if you need to download a file on your computer for when you get home, you can start it and it would hopefully be done by the time you got home.

Larzo#IM

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Thanks! I'd snatch one up but for the life of me I can't find my router username/password to enable UPnP on the configuration page :( :( :(

GMJeff

May 3, 2009
Visit site
Are you talking about the username and Password to log into the router? If so, the defaults can be found on the manufacturers websites in the PDF user manuals, or in the hard copy user manual that came in the box.

If you just forgot your username and password, after you changed them, just use the reset button on the router (almost all of them have a reset button that needs to be depressed with a paperclip or something similar).

That resets the router to the factory settings. You will have to set it up again, but worth it for a forgotten password sometimes.

xultar

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
I use LogMeIn and I tell you, no problems what so ever. The app is pricey but I've had nothing but ease of use for the money.

Larzo#IM

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Are you talking about the username and Password to log into the router? If so, the defaults can be found on the manufacturers websites in the PDF user manuals, or in the hard copy user manual that came in the box.

If you just forgot your username and password, after you changed them, just use the reset button on the router (almost all of them have a reset button that needs to be depressed with a paperclip or something similar).

That resets the router to the factory settings. You will have to set it up again, but worth it for a forgotten password sometimes.

Is that so? Thanks a lot for that! That info could be potentially saving. Would this be the manual for the linksys befsr41 router? http://support.radioshack.com/support_accessories/doc66/66591.pdf

xultar

Jul 21, 2009
Visit site
Straight up remote control of your computers. You buy the app and then you go to their website and sign up. There is a free option that you download to your computer follow the instructions...and then do your test log in from your iPhone.

If you have domains on your computers the key is to remember which one you left on and remembering the domain correctly. The iPhone app will allow you to save many computers with various domains and logins.

I love the product so much I actually bought a year subscription (after finding a great online coupon) for the mega super duper hookup. I have 2 computers on it one free, one with a paid subscription that I use the most for meetings and such.

I often use my iphone to access my work computer from the airplane to kick off long running processes late in the day on Thursday after I know everyone is gone. That way when I work from home on Friday the processes are already done.

I will admit, I wouldn't use the iPhone app for typing much stuff or doing anything that requires a lot of typing because it is a pain in the arse. But for navigating files, viewing stuff, kicking stuff off, printing stuff etc it is excellent.

Last edited:

Larzo#IM

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Straight up remote control of your computers. You buy the app and then you go to their website and sign up. There is a free option that you download to your computer follow the instructions...and then do your test log in from your iPhone.

If you have domains on your computers the key is to remember which one you left on and remembering the domain correctly. The iPhone app will allow you to save many computers with various domains and logins.

I love the product so much I actually bought a year subscription (after finding a great online coupon) for the mega super duper hookup. I have 2 computers on it one free, one with a paid subscription that I use the most for meetings and such.

I often use my iphone to access my work computer from the airplane to kick off long running processes late in the day on Thursday after I know everyone is gone. That way when I work from home on Friday the processes are already done.

I will admit, I wouldn't use the iPhone app for typing much stuff or doing anything that requires a lot of typing because it is a pain in the arse. But for navigating files, viewing stuff, kicking stuff off, printing stuff etc it is excellent.

Sounds interesting! I still need to enable UPnP on my router before I can get any remote apps to work though :(

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711