TomTom for iPhone

dawggg63

Jul 31, 2009
Visit site
I have been waiting to see what TomTom for iPhone was like before getting a new GPS, and have been looking for updates via the TomTom website. Earlier this week all reference to the app have been removed from the page. Does anyone know if the app has been scrapped?

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
I doubt it. iLounge had something up the other day that a UK retailer had listed the price of the docking station on their website. I'm sure it's still coming.

paddyclark

Jan 16, 2009
Visit site
For UK - Check out CoPilot Live United Kingdom on App Store... seems to have been released today... and the Price ONLY ?25.99 or $43 approx ... will be downloading this when i get home... screenshots look very good... reviews on other platforms seem good.

flyingember

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Until tom tom releases their pricing no price is final.

this could be a company hedging their bets that people will buy it at a premium to get it sooner. Tom Tom could sell it for $50 and this company makes a huge profit.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Unbox

Ordered 10/23
Acknowledged 10/25
Shipped 11/01
Delivered 11/04
Opened 11/05

In the box:

Packing slip
User Guide (14 pages)
Important Note about use without the TomTom app.
blank piece of paper with two rfid tags attached.
The car kit
charger ("cigar lighter"), cable, mini-usb plug.
Adhesion disk for alternative mounting

Look and feel:

Compact, sturdy, TomTom/Apple quality. The suction mount is relatively large. Rotates to attach, no lever. Very strong. When it is attached, it is attached. Will rotate 360 degrees. Easy to rotate, slight detent to keep it in place. Has a "line out" for connecting sound, e.g., music, but not voice, to the car sound system. (mine does not have a "line in" but I do have an fm transponder.

There is one control on the left side. Pushing it up raises the volume; not surprising, pushing it down, lowers the volume. Pushing it in and holding it for an 8 count clears Bluetooth pairing.

I am unable to see a pilot light to tell me that it is powered. However, if powered, holding the control in will generate a beep. I prefer my own light flexible cable to the one that comes with the car kit. As best I can tell there is nothing special about it.

Will pair to eight phones. Must be powered with the phone inserted to operate or pair. Pairing is then automagic, phone sees the device, first recognizes it as a "handsfree device" and then as a TomTom car kit. Then it prompts for the PIN code, 5555.

Seems to acquire satellites faster but still will not acquire in my living room or car port.

The nav software does not recognize the presence or absence of the car kit. The free tool kit does.

The car kit is a much more stable mount than the one that I am replacing and thought I like. This is stable enough that one can pus the home button without moving it. It is very easy to take the phone in and out of the mount.

While I have not yet driven anywhere, I have listened to a "demo" of a trip and the instructions sound five by five at the default volume setting. I have listened to someone else's auto phone greeting and left a message. They sounded good and I will let you know their report of how I sounded. Not sure but I think that the phone defaults to car kit when it is inserted.

I see nothing to suggest that the car kit will not work just fine with my AT&T Nav system and everything to suggest that it will. The biggest problem that I have with the AT&T is that it does not work well with the iPhone speaker. I have to wear a headset to understand it. The car kit should overcome that problem. I will report.

What are your questions?

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
another overpriced accessory if u ask me
Perhaps. Horses for courses. However, I have not found a BT handsfree mount for less. Saw one in Radio Shack day before yesterday. Same price ($85-.) Keep in mind I bought mine from Apple for $120- and do not feel cheated. Not nearly so nice. I admit that I have used both TomTom and AT&T nav without it but do not recommend it. Had to wear a headset to be able to understand AT&T.

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
Until tom tom releases their pricing no price is final.
Well, it turns out that TomTom's pricing did not survive shipment. Before I got mine, the street price had dropped thirty percent to what most of you would have been willing to pay in the first place. Incidentally, the street price is very competitive with similar BT hands-free devices.

Last edited:

whmurray

Aug 20, 2003
Visit site
CNET reported today TomTom app for iPhone getting major update, new features | The Car Tech blog - CNET Reviews that TomTom has delivered to the Apple Store an update that includes the missing features. Since these features are well implemented in other TomTom products, it is reasonable to assume that they will be well implemented in the app. So we now have the product that we had hoped for. With the car kit it will list for $229 and have a street price of $184. A year ago, it is likely that it would have been the market leading product that all of us were hoping for. With the new features, I will be very happy with mine.

However, James Newman, writing in PC World, washingtonpost.com suggests that TomTom is a day late and a dollar short, that they simply do not get it. The stock market gets it. TomTom's stock dropped 27% on the announcement of a free navigation package from Google for its Android operating system. Google suggested that they would make the product available for the iPhone if Apple would accept it.

TomTom now has the product that the market expected a year ago but it seems unlikely that it can still command TomTom's price. TomTom has mismanaged this opportunity from the day that Apple supported third party apps.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73