Free apps with 1 acct using 2 iPhones

foreverbfc

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
Don't know if this has been discussed here or not, but I just experienced a free app download (so I think).

I have two iPhone under one iTunes acct. Purchased an app for my wife and then used my phone to purchase that same app. Once I entered the password on my phone to purchase the app., a message came up notifying me that, because I already purchased this app, I can re-download it for free.

Had anyone else experienced this? Does it really allow one app for two phones?

Thanks.

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
If you download it on your PC/MAC and sync it to your iPhones it will be free if you download it on each iPhone you will be charged twice.

foreverbfc

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
It didn't notify me that I would be charged again, it simply stated that because I have already purchased the app, it would be free to download again.

Is there a way to grab the actual app off of the PC and install on both phones?

rkbrown81

Jan 26, 2009
Visit site
If you download it on your PC/MAC and sync it to your iPhones it will be free if you download it on each iPhone you will be charged twice.

I do this all the time and I've never been charged twice. If you are using both iPhones on the same iTunes account (like the OP said he is), you only have to pay for an app once, even if you delete it and download it again, since the purchases are tied to your iTunes account. I have an iPhone 3GS and my wife has my old iPhone 2G, but is using it as an iPod Touch (without an activated SIM card...but this wouldn't make a difference).

You can either buy an app through iTunes on the computer and install it on both devices, or you can buy it and download it from the iPhone, then download it for free on the other iPhone, without using the computer. Or if you buy and download it directly onto your iPhone, then sync with the computer, it will transfer the app to your computer. You can then install it on the other iPhone. There are many ways to do it, but you only have to pay for it once in my experience. We are both running iPhone OS 3.0.

When I buy an app from the computer, it automatically checks the box for the new app to be installed on the iPhone during the next sync. It does this for both iPhones. I will often find apps, that my wife downloaded, appear on my iPhone after a sync, which is only a slight nuisance, because I don't always want the same apps she does.

Edit: Then again, I'm not sure if I've tried downloading a paid app on both iPhones without using the computer. Now I'll have to double check this.

Last edited:

foreverbfc

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
I do this all the time and I've never been charged twice. If you are using both iPhones on the same iTunes account (like the OP said he is), you only have to pay for an app once, even if you delete it and download it again, since the purchases are tied to your iTunes account. I have an iPhone 3GS and my wife has my old iPhone 2G, but is using it as an iPod Touch (without an activated SIM card...but this wouldn't make a difference).

You can either buy an app through iTunes on the computer and install it on both devices, or you can buy it and download it from the iPhone, then download it for free on the other iPhone, without using the computer. Or if you buy and download it directly onto your iPhone, then sync with the computer, it will transfer the app to your computer. You can then install it on the other iPhone. There are many ways to do it, but you only have to pay for it once in my experience. We are both running iPhone OS 3.0.

When I buy an app from the computer, it automatically checks the box for the new app to be installed on the iPhone during the next sync. It does this for both iPhones. I will often find apps, that my wife downloaded, appear on my iPhone after a sync, which is only a slight nuisance, because I don't always want the same apps she does.

Exactly what I did... Do you think Apple cares if two iPhones (using same the account) are able to buy one app for both phones?

rkbrown81

Jan 26, 2009
Visit site
As far as I know, it is designed to be this way. It's been this way since the AppStore opened. I suppose Apple could charge for the app being on more than one device, but if that's the way they wanted it, they should have implemented that from the beginning IMO.

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
As far as I know, it is designed to be this way. It's been this way since the AppStore opened. I suppose Apple could charge for the app being on more than one device, but if that's the way they wanted it, they should have implemented that from the beginning IMO.

Just called apple and they said you will be charged twice.

rkbrown81

Jan 26, 2009
Visit site
Just called apple and they said you will be charged twice.

If you are only using the iPhones or iPod Touches to download/install, since you can download it on the computer, then install it on multiple devices without paying again, right? I do remember people talking about this before OS 3.0 came out, but I wasn't sure if it was implemented.

I can't remember if I've paid for an app, and downloaded/installed it, all from my iPhone, and then my wife did the same thing on hers. I know it works with free apps. But I usually pay for apps on my computer, then install them on both devices, and only pay once.

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
If you are only using the iPhones or iPod Touches to download/install, since you can download it on the computer, then install it on multiple devices without paying again, right? I do remember people talking about this before OS 3.0 came out, but I wasn't sure if it was implemented.

I can't remember if I've paid for an app, and downloaded/installed it, all from my iPhone, and then my wife did the same thing on hers. I know it works with free apps. But I usually pay for apps on my computer, then install them on both devices, and only pay once.

If you sync the paid app to your iPhones from your PC/MAC will be free.

Duvi

Jun 17, 2008
Visit site
If you purchased it already and once the iTunes account is the same on both devices, you are and will not be charged for Applications. The difference may be when it comes to music as I had purchased The Dream's CD on two devices and I was charged twice, maybe it was an error or maybe this is how it is for music, but for apps, no charge.

Take a look at the screen shots below. First screen shot is for free Yahoo and second is for paid Occasions.

2dc18d68.jpg
db3b3935.jpg

Tramain

May 7, 2009
Visit site
Where are the actual app folders found on the PC? I've heard you are able give apps to another iPhone free.

Open iTunes>connect iPhone>File>Transfer Purchases from iPhone.
Connect the other iPhone sync the apps to it.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2