Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    290 Global Posts

Default News apps/cache websites for offline reading

I take the subway and I was wondering if there is an app that allows me to download rss feeds, blog articles, or news so I can read them without a network connection.
  2. Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    290 Global Posts

I'm sure there are other people here that would like to read news/websites when offline, so here is what I came up with

The NYTimes app can download the articles so it can be viewed offline, it just takes some time to download the articles.

There are two apps that allow you to view websites offline, Read it Later ($2.99) and Instapaper($4.99). Both offer a free app that limits the sites you can store and a "Pro" version. I haven't tested either one yet, but Read it Later seems to be more popular.

There is also a fluent news app that is free and is like the NYTimes app except that it downloads news articles from a variety of news sources. I just downloaded it and haven't had a chance to use it.

My question is if this saves all the articles on the iPhone, does it delete older articles, like if they are older than a day or do they just pile up?
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    555 Global Posts

i currently use Viigo (Download | Viigo) for my BB Curve. problem is, i don't think it's an iPhone compatible app. hopefully they will introduce a version for iPhone because you can setup any rss feed. just like a google reader.

i HAVE, however, seen an rss reader in iTunes called 'NetBeans' that limits you to what seems to be 2 rss feeds and very little in customization of specific feeds. i just downloaded (via iTunes) an app called 'NetNewsWire'. it's a free rss reader app that looks descent. there's also one called 'Gazete', but the reviews were mediocre at best.

now, i just need to get my 3GS to try it out...27 more days. ARGH!
    iPhone Newbie

Something I was looking for. Thanks