Restaurant Lists and Wines To Buy

iMark

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone use (or know of) an app where you can track restaurants you've eaten at, or you want to eat at (review or recommendation). There was an old Palm program that I used to use where you could search your entries by city (US & International), food type, etc. It was handy when you needed to recommend a restaurant to a friend, or were looking for something different but could never remember all the reviews you read previously. Alll I see Apps that list restaunts in cities or near you. I'm looking for something I can input on my own.

Also, is there an App to list wines you want to buy? If I have a bottle I like, or one is recommended to me, it would be nice to always have a list with you when you find yourself in a wine shop.

Cheers.

GadgetGuru72#IM

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
There may be a better option available, but to track restaurants I just use Yelp. Although it is primarily a "restaurants in cities near you" type app, it also allows you to bookmark entries, and include comments in those entries. Plus, you can designate whether it's somewhere you've eaten, or somewhere you'd like to try. So, if a friend recommends a restaurant to me, I find it in Yelp, designate it as "to try," and include a comment about what my friend told me. Then, in the app, you just click "bookmarks" and it shows you all the places you've bookmarked.

iMark

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
There may be a better option available, but to track restaurants I just use Yelp. Although it is primarily a "restaurants in cities near you" type app, it also allows you to bookmark entries, and include comments in those entries. Plus, you can designate whether it's somewhere you've eaten, or somewhere you'd like to try. So, if a friend recommends a restaurant to me, I find it in Yelp, designate it as "to try," and include a comment about what my friend told me. Then, in the app, you just click "bookmarks" and it shows you all the places you've bookmarked.

Thanks...,that seems to do some of what I need, but what if the restaurant isn't on Yelp?

GadgetGuru72#IM

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
Thanks...,that seems to do some of what I need, but what if the restaurant isn't on Yelp?

Umm, that would seem to be a potential problem with *any* app, not just Yelp. I think pretty much everything is on Yelp. If not, use the Notepad, a ToDo list, etc. That's pretty much all I can think of.

iMark

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
The "To Do" lists don't let you search from among the restaurants you entered....i.e. city, cuisine, etc.

I'm not really looking for thousands of listings and reviews from people I've never met. I want a place to enter resuarants that friends, colleagues, and reviewers (whose taste I trust) have recommended so I can keep trackl of them all whenever I am in a city, or a froend in a city needs a recommendation.

It just seems that there are dozens of apps that laundry list all kinds of restaurants near me.......but none that recall restaurants I may want to try when I am in a city because I heard I should go there.

This is what I used on the Palm: w w w .palmgear.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=software.showsoftware&prodid=1286
Simple and crude, but it did the job. Certainly there's a database like this for the iphone?

GadgetGuru72#IM

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
How about just using a database program? Design the input fields, and then they're all searchable.

I've heard good things about Bento, but haven't used it myself:

iTunes Store

You could create a restaurant database, or perhaps they already have a template.

Other than that, I'm out of ideas.

iMark

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
How about just using a database program? Design the input fields, and then they're all searchable.

I've heard good things about Bento, but haven't used it myself:

You could create a restaurant database, or perhaps they already have a template.

Other than that, I'm out of ideas.

Bento looks good, but I don'r run a Mac at home or work, so it seems some of the fields won't work. I'm not opposed to a database program, as long as there is a relevant template that is searchable.

Anyone else have an idea? I've been scrolling through hundreds of pages at the app store with no luck.

CYaris

Jun 30, 2009
www.esqtechsolutions.com
What I've always done, on my palm treo, was to enter the restaurant information into my contacts, with a restaurant category, and I put information about the restaurant, after I've eaten there, in the notes section.

Then I can just sort by the category restaurant, and see what info I need.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2