Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Newbie

14 Posts

Default Interference while using compass in Google Maps

When using compass in google maps on 3GS, I am getting a message something like this:

"Interference caused. please move the phone in 8 mode to get rid of it"

Anyone else getting it?
    iPhone Intermediate

465 Posts
    Global Posts
    472 Global Posts

Yeah. I'm not sure how to get rid of it but i was in a limo yesterday and it figure out what direction I was facing.

I wasn't going to sit there waving my iPhone around like a ****** so i left it. I think the compass works off signals like GPS because GPS won't work if there isn't a clear signal.
    iMore Guru

1,661 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,664 Global Posts

Yep!!! Even in my car!! But I do the figure 8 thingy and it usually works. I feel silly waving my phone around. But as I just said. It usually works.
    iPhone Nanite

5 Posts

The issue is that any type of magnetic interference will mess with the iPhone's compass. I had this issue in my Nissan Armada which has a magnetic compass. Basically don't try to calibrate the compass in a car or anywhere near a strong magnetic source. Just give it a few minutes and it will work itself out. I don't have 10 posts yet, but here is the support entry on the issue:

h t tp://support.apple.com/kb/TS2767
    iPhone Newbie

11 Posts

I hear that's on the 3.1 buglist.