GPS Apps = Not Cheap

Tunnelrunner

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
As was posted earlier on the forum, Navigon has finally come to the App Store - it's only for the maps of Europe (so far) but I expect to see North America and all the other continents released within the next week. It takes 1.65 GB (pretty typical size for downloading maps for an entire continent) of space on your iphone.

Price point for Navigon Europe? $94.99 USD. Not surprising, IMO. You figure North America will probably run around the same price. And this ought to give us a hint as to how much brand-leader TomTom will be asking for. Back when they unveiled their app for the iphone, I thought it could run as low as $50+ and as high as $100 - I'm now leaning towards the higher end of $100. Sygic IDA, which offers a similar type of GPS model as TomTom and Navigon will most likely also be asking for $50-100.

Gokivo offers a pay-as-you-go monthly subscription for $10 (for the USA). This is pretty standard for other monthly mobile GPS subscription services like VZW Navigator. Gokivo is the first to offer this in the App Store (in addition to in-app purchasing) and they won't be the last; this is only the beginning. You can expect many other services (beyond GPS apps: videogames, camera apps, etc.) to do the same. When NIM's competitor Telenav finally arrives in the App Store, they will also offer a $10 monthly subscription for their services. Don't be surprised if services like Gokivo and Telenav begin to also offer a third price point option: $2.99 for one-day use only. We'll see.

My point is: in the new 3.0 era, fully-featured TBT GPS applications are not cheap. And every GPS service named in this post is of excellent, high quality -- but we're going to have to pay for it. We asked for this; to have access to the same features that Blackberry, WM, and Palm users have had for YEARS. Monthly subscription services like Telenav and Gokivo will allow you to use their cool apps and get real-time traffic delays and constantly updated maps, but you're going to have to pay $10 a month - not $1 a month. From the other GPS model of service, TomTom and Navigon will be asking for probably around $100 to download their maps onto your phone - not $20. I wouldn't be surprised if TomTom also offers a yearly upgrade fee to update their maps, or they might offer smaller upgrades (ie: buying maps for other countries/continents) - again, we will see a lot more of in-app purchasing. You get the drift. Speaking for myself, if a GPS app is of excellent quality, I am willing to pay up to $100+ for it (dedicated GPS PNDs can cost several hundreds of dollars) - I just hope other iphone users are mentally prepping themselves for the realistic prices they're going to be seeing - GPS is not cheap.

As a side-note I should mention: if you're really strapped for cash (as many people are in this economy), there is still the first pseudo-TBT GPS app of them all: G-Map East/West (last I checked, they offered or were in the process of offering maps for all the continents on the planet), which is incredibly, still $24.99. The upgrade for 3.0 will feature full voice/text to speech, etc - at a price point of $25 only! But you'd have to buy it NOW before Xroad increases (as I think they'll have to to stay competitive) their price in the near future. They were the first ones to appear in the App Store, hence the low price - with all the other ones popping up now...well...you get the idea...

Last edited:
May 6, 2009
Visit site
Is apple still strict with iphone devs in North America about creating GPS apps? If they are, that's probably a reason why we haven't seen any noteworthy gps related apps here in the U.S.

sleeks

Mar 5, 2009
Visit site
Is apple still strict with iphone devs in North America about creating GPS apps? If they are, that's probably a reason why we haven't seen any noteworthy gps related apps here in the U.S.

As of the 3.0 software, Apple now allows turn by turn nav as long as you don't use google maps. We haven't seen any yet becuase 3.0 software was just released and applications that use 3.0 features are just trickling out.

chobbs1

Mar 8, 2008
Visit site
The google maps directions are fantastic. I do not think I'll "need" Tom Tom ot any other turn by turn app. But that's just me. Plus the price of said apps seems to be way too high to be worth it.

JustinHorn

Aug 3, 2008
whenwillapple.com
The google maps directions are fantastic. I do not think I'll "need" Tom Tom ot any other turn by turn app. But that's just me. Plus the price of said apps seems to be way too high to be worth it.

Yeah, unless they have better real time traffic and accident reports or something I don't see the big deal of having some computer voice tell you to turn. I also have a feeling that in 3.1 or so they will update the map app to include the new google accident reports.

Brickman

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site

It is very nice to have the "Voice" if you are a true "Road Warrior". I have fiends that have it and they swear by it but that is how they make their living, so it is fairly vital.

I agree with you though that GMaps are very nice. I used them this weekend while on vacation to fine a few spots in a new city. Worked great!!

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Think I will pick up GMaps this evening. I really only want maps stored on the device. I use Google maps a lot while riding shot gun with friends or out on the town. But since my car has built GPS system with a nice 7" screen I have no need for any of the fancy stuff.

I've been out in the sticks many times where I only get GPRS or weak EDGE and then Google Maps is near useless. Would be nice if Google themselves (or Microsoft even) would release stored maps.

GMaps looks even better now though. No way I'm paying $100 for maps or a monthly charge.

rokamortis

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
I hope that the GMap doesn't increase too much when they release the voice prompts, I think we need a reasonably priced full GPS solution. I don't want to spend $10/month or $100.

I read today that amAze GPS is working on an iPhone version, this is a free but ad-supported full GPS program.

sleeks

Mar 5, 2009
Visit site
Hope there will be lots of GPS apps available soon.

I would have to believe both Navigon and Sygic will be available soon. They have both released Europe and others. US should be next.

Tom Tom doesn't have a date but I would guess July or August as they said later this summer.

Entertainment72

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site

I've had terrible experience with google maps.. in fact it was so bad I started using Loopt because they use microsoft visual earth which I consider better. Google maps is not even in the same ballpark as the navi on my Acura or Audi. My spare Tom Tom Go 720 destroys google maps.. hahaha.. seriously that thing is a joke.

Gotta love that "preload" maps crap... for the birds.. gimme a navi where I can see where I'm going 5 miles up the road and not rely on any signal for map loading.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrytg4