Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Beginner

Default Sirius Satellite Radio

What has ever happened to the app that was rumored to be in the works for Sirius/XM? I have it in my car but would love to have it on my iPhone as well, especially if it has the some functionality as the internet radio does, with NFL games.
    Administrator

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

There has been no official word except that it's coming. When? Who knows...
    iPhone Intermediate

Global Posts
    415 Global Posts
    iOS Version

Recenty, I've been wondering whether Apple intends to include that capability within the final OS 3.0. Many of us remember the RSSPodcaster app that was initially rejected from the App Store due to duplication of iPhone OS functionality.

Might the same be true for Sirius?

I'm all for that app as I would hope its performance would be better than through Pocket Tunes, Wunder Radio, or even ORB.
    iPhone Newbie

I read that a free player will be coming from Sirius/XM directly. I heard it is to come out VERY soon.
  5. Thread AuthorThread Author   #5  
    iPhone Beginner

You will probably have to subscribe to Sirius/XM internet radio for it to work. It's 2.99/mth in addition to your regular subscription price. Or I believe it's 8.99/mth if you dont have regular radio attached..
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    2,243 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1.2

I have Sirius in my truck and for some reason the channel is stuck on 8, which is the 80's. I've tried to move it, but it's stuck...

I'd love to have this for the iPhone too. I guess you'd need a wifi network for it to work? If so, I might not get it because I have several internet radio apps, the best being Internet RadioBox, which is also stuck on Big R Radio 80's. Hmmm.....
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts

Default Its in Itunes now

I have downloaded it and loving it. You do have to pay the monthly subscription, which I was already doing as I have the service in my car. Its nice
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    27 Global Posts

I just downloaded and no Stern, that's the main reason I wanted it. Without Stern, Sirius is just an overpriced Pandora.
    iPhone Nanite

Quote Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
    I have Sirius in my truck and for some reason the channel is stuck on 8, which is the 80's. I've tried to move it, but it's stuck...
    Odds are you have it set to "preset channel selection" for number buttons instead of "type number of channel you want" which, if presets aren't set, should probably keep it on the channel you're on now.

You may want to look for the manual to see how to toggle between entering channel numbers and presets. Hopefully it's a simple fix like that.

On the topic of the new app, I'm wondering why they don't have Stern on there(even though I'm not a stern fan) if they want to really push it, unless they plan to have a special extra-special version with him for more money.

A lot of serious competition(pun intended) out there from pandora and last.fm, among others, so you have to wonder if people are going to want to shell out $3-9 a month just for their favorite channels.

I'm personally debating it, but I had 3 xm units at one point and still almost excluslively listened to the one I had at work, finally got down to 1 unit and am not sure if I can justify bumping my bill back up again to have my channels with me.
    iMore Elite

Global Posts
    2,243 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 7.1.2

No, it's not "stuck" it's just "stuck" on the 80's channel. No matter what station I put it on, I always come back to the 80's.
    iPhone Newbie

Why no Howard? He streams over the internet, but not over the internet or cellular network to a phone.

So I have to keep Pocket Tunes for Howard.

And it isn't an explicit language issue either as Playboy is available on the app.
    iPhone Newbie

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

When is this app coming out?
    iPhone Nanite

App has been released TODAY!

already have it downloaded (gotta love having an existing subscription w/ internet)

Though, it would be nice if it would work like the ipod player to where it would keep playing if you were say... texting, browsing, etc...
    iMore Pro

Global Posts
    2,303 Global Posts

i agree that it would be nice if it were to stay playing in the background. if you get a call or text, it closes out.
    iPhone Nanite

I am a Sirius subscriber and I got the Pocket Tunes app and it works great with 3G or WiFi. I especially like for NPR.
    iPhone Nanite

Pay $2.99 more a month when I already pay to have it in three of my cars? No way! I don't listen to Stern, and I am able to get the Sirius stations that I normally listen to on Pocket Tunes - without paying the extra $2.99 a month.
    Ish
    iPhone Newbie

iOS Version

I was using the spotlight search on my iPhone to launch this app and noticed it Doesn't show up under XM or Sirius or Radio. I was scratching my head. Apparently the offical name for this app is "online". I'm I the only one that finds this odd?
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

Would someone with PTunes and this XM app please check to see if you can get the XM station "Sur la Route?" It's all I listen to in the car, and would be worth another small monthly subscription to me, but only if I can listen on my iPhone. Thanks!
    Administrator

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by sleeks View Post
    Why no Howard? He streams over the internet, but not over the internet or cellular network to a phone.

So I have to keep Pocket Tunes for Howard.

And it isn't an explicit language issue either as Playboy is available on the app.
    He talked about it yesterday... said "contractual issues"...

Go with pocket tunes. Works perfectly fine and you don't have to pay the premium fee!
    Administrator

Global Posts
    10,099 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    iOS 6

Quote Originally Posted by Alli View Post
    Would someone with PTunes and this XM app please check to see if you can get the XM station "Sur la Route?" It's all I listen to in the car, and would be worth another small monthly subscription to me, but only if I can listen on my iPhone. Thanks!
    Don't see it... :o
    iPhone Newbie

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Ash View Post
    He talked about it yesterday... said "contractual issues"...

Go with pocket tunes. Works perfectly fine and you don't have to pay the premium fee!
    I have pocket tunes. I was hoping for a better integrated app, but I see that Sirius even failed with that. No album art, lyrics, etc.
    iMore Genius

Global Posts
    13,726 Global Posts
    iOS Version
    6.x

Thanks Bad Ash. I guess I'll just continue to spend time in the car. :P
    iPhone Newbie

So did Pocket Tunes lose Sirius/XM support?

EDIT: NM, I just had to update the list. It didn't save my favorites after I re-installed the app. Also, those of us who listen to 202 have been screwed over. It's a DRM Windows only feed now.
    Last edited by Rancid; 06-25-2009 at 11:03 AM.
    iPhone Pro

I streamed 752mb last month alone on Pocket Tunes, via Premium Account. I must say its one of my favorite apps.
    MacBook 6,1 Late 09 Model
    iPhone 4 16GB JB'd
    iPad 16 GB 3G+WiFi
    Follow me on Twitter @CFFlack
    Tip my scale if I helped ya or was just being a good dude as usual.