Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Guru

1,522 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,608 Global Posts

Default Review: Theseus and the Minotaur

Ahh, Greek mythology. I remember way back when I read this book (who hasn't). So when I saw Theseus and the Minotaur, I thought I would give it a try.

Theseus is a puzzle/strategy game, so don't get your hopes up about a first person shooter running through a maze facing off against minotaurs. The object of the game is to get you (Theseus, represented by a blue ball) through a maze and to the exit while avoiding the minotaur (the red ball). The catch is, for every move you make, the minotaur came make two moves - he is fast, that minotaur.

So rather than just outrun the minotaur, you are forced to rely on strategy to make it thought the maze. You need to try to trap the minotaur in various locations as you make your way to the exit. The game comes with over 80 levels (mazes) to complete. Each one tells you what a perfect score would be - the minimum number of moves that are required. But don't worry, you aren't limited to that many - you can take as many moves as needed to finish the level. Levels 0 through 3 are tutorial levels to teach you how to play. They are good places to start, unless you want to jump right in (and get eaten by the minotaur).

The game is a fun puzzle game, and you can complete the different mazes in any order you like. The mazes aren't rated in any way (easy or difficult) although I think they are ordered from easy to most difficult. It would be nice to see them have various ratings to indicate difficulty. When you complete a maze, if you get a perfect score you get a gold medal. Anything else gets you a silver medal.

The graphics are okay, if a little simplistic. I understand the puzzle concept is simple, and the graphics for the puzzle are rendered nicely, but I was hoping for something a little more than a marble in a maze. Aside from some basic sounds, there are no sounds associated with the game.

Controls are simple, using either a direcitonal pad to move or simply tapping the touch screen. The controls can be shifted for either a left or right handed set up. If you get stuck, you can also use a hint to figure out your next move (and you can disable hints if you want to make sure you don't hit it by accident).

The game is fun to play, and I like the fact you can do any level at any time. I question the ability of this game to hold up as a long-term app, however. With 80+ mazes, once they are finished, you have no where else to go. I hope additional levels/puzzles get added to the game.

Pros: Fun logic problems

Cons: Simplistic (although nice) graphics, limited long term play options

All in all, for people with a logic problem/puzzle game interest, this game is worth the price (currently $.99, down from various prices although the MSRP is $3.99). It's fun and can be challenging to figure out. I hope there will be additional levels supplies at some point, because otherwise the game has a limited lifespan (although that span may be quite long). four out of five stars.

Rating scale:

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
    ** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
    *** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
    **** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
    ***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benefits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating.