Review: Flight Control

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Ever want to be a flight controller? The most stressful job (so I hear) ever? Well, if you want the fun, but don't want the stress, Flight Control is the game for you.

With Flight Control, you play a flight controller who needs to guide planes in for a safe landing. You have two runways (red and yellow) and one helicopter pad (blue). As planes fly in, they are either red or yellow, indicating which runway they need to land on (helicopters can only land on the pad). Your job is to guide the planes to the appropriate runway while avoiding in-air collisions.

Sounds easy, right? Sure it is...when there are only one or two planes coming in at a time. But as time progresses, more and more planes enter the playing field, increasing the risk of close calls and collisions.

The process of guiding a plane is very simple. Simply tap the plane, and slide you finger along the path you want the plane to take. As you are creating the path, it appears as a dotted line. When you lift you finger, the planes path is "set", and it starts to follow it. Need to adjust a path? Just tap the plane and slide your finger to create a new path. Not sure you know where you want the plane to go? Draw it flying in circles or a big loop, and then come back to it later. Don't forget about a plane though! If a plane finished it's path and hasn't landed, it just keeps flying straight (pilots are sort of dumb like that).

This game is really sort of cool, and there aren't any other games out there like it. The controls are very easy, making good use of the touch screen. The game warns your of potential collisions and incoming aircraft (which are offscreen so you can't see them). As with most games, I wish there were some sort of multiplayer or competitive option, but the game can get pretty hectic on it's own. The game's difficulty increases quickly - one or two planes on the screen is fine, but with 5 or 6 planes it can be very difficult to keep track of them all.

I would love to see some different "airport" options - different layouts of runways and helicopter pads, so you could choose which airport you wanted. This would also be a good way to allow different difficulty levels. But the included airport is fun. The stats page gives you a nice rundown of your performance, including your average score, the most planes on the screen at one time, you highest score, etc.

Pros: New game concept, easy game play

Cons: No multiple airports

All in all, this is a fun little game. It takes the iPhone and brings a new game concept to it (at least a concept I haven't seen before). The game design is perfect for the iPhone. At $.99 (current grand opening sale) the game is a must try. The normal price is probably going to be $2.99, and even at that price it is worth it. Four and a half out of five stars.

Edit: Review Update.

An update to this game was recently released, which includes multiplayer and two more airports. Given the long term enjoyment of this game, I now increase my rating to five out of five stars!

Rating scale:

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
*** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
**** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benefits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating.

Last edited:

dooks88

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
Sorry, it was actually 96. Someone on an iTunes review said they were up to 150+!

photo1.jpg

photo.jpg

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Just bringing this to the front to match the main page.

My high score is currently 86. I got 82 once, but other than that I usually get bogged down around upper 60's.

Chris

APPCRITICal

Dec 28, 2008
Visit site
I had 75, then got my iphone replaced. Now my highest is 73!

UPDATE : JUST HIT 80!!!!!

UPDATE : Bored day at work generates a 102!

Last edited:

sleeks

Mar 5, 2009
Visit site
263 as my high so far...game gets crazy. If I get too much going on, i just make the plane do a very tight circle until I can get him in to land...

Fun app. Everybody enjoys playing it.

nickpav

May 2, 2009
Visit site
i played this on my friends phone. i didnt think it was good enough to spend money on though. i rarely buy apps though, so they need to be pretty damn top of the line for me to buy. it was a fun game though

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
My high score was 86, then I reset the phone - now it is 79.

The spinning in place is something I use, but then I forget about the planes!!

jhamilton3

TiPb Fourm Staff
Feb 20, 2009
Visit site
The spinning in place seemed tricky to me because there were so many planes on the screen it was tough to find good spaces - lol

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CØR