Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    Forum App Reviewer

540 Posts
    Global Posts
    542 Global Posts

Default Review: Pano vs. Panorama

So what do I think is the better app? Panorama. Read below to see why.

Versus Overall:
    I find Panorama app the winner as I like the ability to use as many photos as it takes to complete my Panorama. Even though there is an extra step involved (compared to the Pano app) in adding the next picture. I like the small preview as I can check to make sure everything is looking okay. I also really like the ability to choose the different resolution sizes. I personally always use the largest resolution as I can make it smaller later.

Pano uses 1/3 of the picture to overlap and combine the images. This has it's Pros & Cons. Pro being – you can take less pictures to get your panorama, but the problem is (con) that the application has less information in each photo to compare, which could result in a error when stitching the photos. While Panorama uses 1/2 of the photo to stitch the photos together, reducing errors, it can also take longer to complete your panorama.

Two things I'd really like to see in both applications is the ability (rather the inability) to turn off the “use photo” confirmation as I find this a little redundant, especially for the Panorama app and also the ability to save individual photos taken or to have the ability to merge photos that were taken outside the program via the camera reel. It would also be nice to have the option to disable the “add photo” screen in the Panorama app after taking the initial photo (making it much like the work-flow of the Pano app.)
    Last edited by msbaylor; 03-29-2009 at 08:38 AM.
  2. Thread AuthorThread Author   #2  
    Forum App Reviewer

540 Posts
    Global Posts
    542 Global Posts

-Simple application to make panoramas at an affordable price
    -Merges and corrects exposure fairly well.
    -Uses a third of a picture for stitching, less photos to complete your panorama.

-Can only take up to 6 photos to merge.
    -One set resolution
    -No button to take another panorama. Must exit & re-enter app.
    -If the app crashes, then you loose everything.

When you first began the application the screen will represent the
    camera.app on your iPhone/iTouch, except, it will have instructions at the top (if holding horizontally). You can take the first picture by pressing the green button. If you tap “cancel” then you can enter portrait mode. It will then ask you if you want to use the photo (basically a confirmation). You can choose to “use” or “retake.” You then take the next photo. And you keep doing this until you have taken the right amount of pictures or your have taken 6 photos.

After the first photo has been taken a third of the previous photo at about 30% opacity will appear on the screen to help you line up your next picture that you are going to take.

Pano overlaps the images by about a 1/3 of the image when combining them. After taking 6 photos (or less) the app will automatically merge the photos into a panorama. This might take anywhere from 1 – 5 minutes depending on the complexity of the panorama.

Once it is done merging, you will see “Done” screen and you can also view “Pano Tips;” however, the link takes you out of the app and into the Safari.app.

At anytime while taking photos you can tap cancel to bring up a menu that will allow you to create the panorama with the previous photos you have taken (less than 6), Quit Pano, or Resume shooting.

Here is a panorama taken with the app. The photo was taken on the Baylor campus in Waco, Texas. Click on to view full resolution of the image.

And another example from my recent trip to Rome, Italy.

More screenshots & panoramas created by this app can be found here
  3. Thread AuthorThread Author   #3  
    Forum App Reviewer

540 Posts
    Global Posts
    542 Global Posts

-If you iPhone happens to crash or you do not want to render the
    panorama at that moment, you can exit and return to the app to create
    the panorama.
    -Multiple resolutions
    -Uses 1⁄2 image overlap, reducing stitching errors.
    -Add photos to either side of your panorama

- “Main” screen can be annoying if you are trying to take the panorama
    in a hurry.
    - Uses 1⁄2 image overlap which means you must take more photos to make
    your panorama.
    -After taking a photo, the photo will appear to be misalighned, but when testing, the photos appeared to stich without flaw- conclusion: ignore.

Panorama works in much the same way as Pano, but has several more features.

When you first begin the application you can choose whether you want
    to take the panorama in landscape or portrait orientation.

After that the process of taking pictures is the same as in doing it
    with Pano, however, there is one extra step.

After taking each picture, you are brought back to a “main” screen in
    which you can add a photo to either side of you panorama and also
    remove certain photos if you feel you have done something wring. And
    of course you have the option to start over. What is especially nice
    about this screen is you have a small preview of the panorama. As you
    add photos, the screen will only show a portion of the panorama, but
    you can scroll it on the screen to view the rest of it. Once you are
    done, you select “done” and you have the option to select from several
    resolutions – 600x420, 800x560 or 1200x840.

I always choose the largest resolution as I like to have it in it's
    fullest form, however, the larger the resolution the longer the
    processing time. I think the longest it has taken me to process a
    Panorama (over 360 degrees) is about 7 minutes.

Here is a panorama taken with the app. The photo was taken in the
    Vatican in Rome, Italy. Click on to view full resolution of image.

4. Thread AuthorThread Author   #4  
    Forum App Reviewer

540 Posts
    Global Posts
    542 Global Posts

Tips while using the apps:
    Pano & Panorama – Hold down the green camera button then aligning the iPhone to take the picture and the let up on the button. This allows you to more accurately take the picture rather than tapping on the button as this may move your iPhone when trying to accurately position the camera.

Also for other to view your panoramas. I recommend using CleVR. CleVR is an online panorama hoster and viewer. Two of the panoramas below (in the Panorama section) can be viewed using CleVR and even more links to others at the very bottom.

Click on the Panoramas to view their actual resolution. (Caution: they are large.)

Pano Panoramas

On the Baylor Campus.

On my flight from Germany. :)

On the Baylor campus.

Panorama Panoramas

St. Peter's Square: Rome, Italy || View with CleVR!

On the Baylor University campus.

At Hollywood Studios in Orlando, Florida. || View with CleVR!

Using CleVR:
    St Peters Basilica
    Epcot – Showcase Lagoon 1
    Epcot – Showcase Lagoon 2
    Last edited by msbaylor; 03-29-2009 at 09:58 AM.