Review: 1 vs 100

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Another day, another TV game show on the iPhone. This time it is the game show 1 vs 100. The concept of this game show (for those that haven't watched it) is that you are "competing" against a mob of 100 people by answering trivia questions. If you get the question right, you move on to the next round - everyone who got it wrong in the mob is eliminated (and adds money to the prize pool). If you get it wrong, you are eliminated and the remaining mob members split up your money. At various points through the game, you can choose to keep anwering questions or to take the money.

As you answer questions, you have three help lines - ask the mob, poll the mob, or trust the mob. These will help you avoid incorrect guesses - assuming the mob knows what it is talking about.

This is a fun game to port to the iPhone because it feels like you are directly competing with other people. You aren't simply trying to answer questions correctly to climb a ladder of prize money. In different rounds, different numbers of people in the mob may get questions right or wrong, so there is some variability to the game other than just how much money you win.

There are three difficulty settings, but I am not sure how helpful they are. I was using the "hard" setting, and I got some questions that I thought were very easy and some that were very hard. I did notice the "easy" questions were much easier though.

This is done by gameloft, so like there other games they have animated lead in with a computer generated host leading the game. I can't decide if I like that or not - I mean it looks obviously fake, but it is sort of fun to see. It would be really cool if they have a video of a real person acting as host.

The graphics all in all are pretty nice, and there does seem to be some variability to the questions and to the mob responses. The mob is supposed to be composed of various "groups" (like blonds, tattoo artists, truckers, etc). I am not sure if there is any point to that (if certain groups have different kinds of tendencies or not) - but that is how the game works on TV so that is how they do it here.

The sound quality is good for the generic sound track (applause, host speech, etc). This game (much like other TV type games) is one that BEGS for multiplayer options - it would be fun to be part of the mob OR the person competing against the mob. Either way, you could have an online tally of how much money you are able to get.

Pros: Good import of the TV game show, faithful to the show

Cons: question difficulty seems a little random

All in all, this is a fun game, and seems to be a little more involved that some of the other trivia TV game show imports. Graphics and sound are nice, but the game needs to have multiplayer options. Especially with peer to peer coming, I hope to see this (and other games) adapted accordingly. The game is $4.99, so it isn't "cheap", but I think it is worth the expense. Four out of five stars.

Rating scale:

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
*** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
**** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benefits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2