Review: MyStory

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
MyStory is a "Mad Libs" style app - I don't know if it would be considered a game or entertainment. Either way, the approach for MyStory is easy - you choose a "story", you are given a series of blanks with the word type described (noun, verb, verb ending in "ing", adverb, etc). You choose the words you want to put in, and it fills the words in for the story.

Basic mad libs.

The "stories" you get to choose from are mostly well known stories, songs, or other pieces of text. They include thingsl ike "Jack and Jill", "Gettysburg Address", ""I Have a Dream", as well as short biography pieces on famous people like Babe Ruth and Barack Obama. I really like the diversity of "stories" to choose from - although I wish there were some that were just basic stories. It would also be nice to classify them in some way (suggested age range, for example). Having a kid do the Jack and Jill story is great, but having them do the Gettysburg Address would not make much sense. All told, there are 24 stories to choose from. I hoped to see some more via updates, but that hasn't happened yet.

When you are filling in the words to choose, you can simply hit the "finish" button and it will fill in the words for you (presumably from some database it has). I don't know if words you use are added to the database or not.

Unfortunately, when repeating the same story, you are asked to fill in the same words - there is no variation. It would be really nice since there are only 24 stories to be able to have variable blank words so that you can repeat a story multiple times without memorizing what word is supposed to be there. Also, some of the stories are very short and maybe only have 4 or 5 empty word blanks.

Also, while you can use this in a party scenario, one would have hoped there would be some sort of "party mode" - allowing for multiple players, different "teams", something like that. Doing a mad lib is more fun with multiple people.

If a story is particularly noteworthy, you can save it, but you can't do anything else with it (no emailing it to anyone, for example).

Pros: Simple mad libs game

Cons: Too few options for playing, many stories are too short

All in all, this is an okay game, but nothing really groundbreaking. It is fun, and you can play it with multiple people, but it seems like it could be more fun. The lack of options beyond a basic Mad Lib style game, and the short list of stories (or list of short stories, take you pick) really detract from the app. At $1.99, it you really want to play Mad Libs with someone, go for it, but I would suggest either waiting for a sale or for more features. Three out of five stars.

Rating scale:

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
*** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
**** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benefits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2