Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Guru

1,522 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,608 Global Posts

Default Review: Flick Fishing

Flick Fishing is an attempt by the iPhone to enalbe one to have a relaxing day fishing at a lake, stream, or even the ocean. While in your office.

Flick Fishing utilizes the accelorometer and touch screen controls to replicate the actions for fishing. Need to cast your line? Pull your iPhone back and flick it foward. Need to reel in a fish? Spin your fingers around the "reel" to pull the fish in - fast to pull the line quickly, slow to ease up on the tension on the line. You can also angle your iPhone left and right (and forward and back) to move your reel.

How realistic is it? Pretty good. Last night when I was playing with the sound off, my wife was watching me for a few minutes and then asked if I was fishing.

With Flick Fishing you can choose from two fishing modes - tournament or just free fishing. In tournament mode you can choose from big catch (most fish) or big fish (largest fish caught). You can also choose to play against a human, against a computer, or over the network in tourment mode - something I love to see!!

In each mode you can choose from one of six locations ranging from small streams and ponds to larger lakes, bays, and even the ocean. The types of fish you catch are specific to the area. Each location also has a difficulty rating, so you can start with an easy area and move to a harder one. You can choose a specific bait and tackle for each cast, and depending on what kind of bait you are using, you need to either let it sit in the water or slowly reel it back in.

When you catch a fish, you have to be careful when reeling it back in - too quickly and the line will break! I assume if you go too slowly, the fish may slip the hook but that hasn't happened to me yet. If it is a new fish, or a record breaker, you are told when you reel it in. And don't worry PETA, all fish are released.

You can look at the various fish you have caught at any time in the photo gallary (along with the record sizes). One nice feature is that you can "brag" about a catch - send an email to someone about the fish you caught.

The graphics are nice - nothing out of this world, but top notch for this kind of game. The sound effects are standard for what you would expect for a fishing game - you have to be somewhat quiet or you scare off the fish (actually, that would be a fun feature - using the microphone to detect ambient noise - if it is too loud, you catch fewer fish).

In the settings, you can adjust various features like turning the bite alarm off (meaning you have to watch the bobber so see if you got a bite), adjusting the time for a tournament, and turning the tutorial off. You can also adjust audio options including turning up the music if it is just too quiet. No ability to play iTunes songs, but maybe that will be after iPhone 3.0 firmware?

Pros: Fun, easy to learn game, good use of iPhone controls, nice multiplayer

Cons: Game starts to get a little simplistic after playing it for a long period of time.

All in all, this is a fun game, and worth the price. It is currently on sale for only $.99, and you can have lots of fun with this game. Note, the price may be going back up to $1.99 soon. For long term play, it might get a little boring, but hopefully you can get some friends to buy it and play against them in tournaments (maybe for a round of beers?). I give this game four and a half out of five stars.

Rating scale:

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
    ** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
    *** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
    **** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
    ***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benefits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating.