Review: Tasks - Tick it off

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Tasks - Tick it off is a task manager/to do list creator. It is designed to be simple more than have a huge number of features, and it successfully achieves that goal. However, the simplicity of the app results in some features that you will have to do without. In the interest of full disclosure, I received a promo code to review this app.

Thanks to Matt's recent Todo Round Robin, the favorite to-do list creators have been reviewed. But there still may be some out there that serve a small group of people, so they will continue to be created, and continue to be reviewed.

Tasks is a simple to-do list creator, designed with ease of use and simplicity in mind. Rather than have 18 million different features and settings, the goal is KISS - Keep it simple, stupid. With that in mind, in the Tasks app, you can do two things - create a to-do list category, and create items within that category.

When you start the app, you are presented with the category screen. Here, you have all your different list categories organized - shopping list, fix around the house, gift list, work to dos, etc. You can create a category simply by tapping the "+" button in the upper right of the screen. The edit simply allows you to delete a category. Next to each category, you have two numbers. The first number is how many items in that category have been checked off, and the second is how many items are in the category all together. Personally, I would have listed how many items are NOT checked off, as an indicator of how much you still need to do. It would also have been beneficial to have the number left to do appear in red or something, but as I said previously - simplicity over features.

Within each category, you can add new items (again, by hitting the plus button). Each item is only one line long - you can add detailed notes, pictures, emails, etc. It is just a quick item to appear on the to-do list. Once you have typed it, you can edit the item by tapping on the pencil icon (this only edits the name), you can mark it off as completed by tapping the circle. Once it is completed, you can delete the item by tapping the trash can.

That's it. That's the extent of the features in to do list. Simplicity and ease of use over complexity and a huge number of features.

In trying to ease of use, the app clearly reaches its goal. It is easy to add categories, it is easy to add items, it is easy to check them off and/or remove them. However, the drawback is that there are no real options. You can't sort, you can't prioritize, you can't have due dates...you can't even have any notes or comments about an item. There is no way to sync or email lists and tasks to yourself (or anyone else). This is purely for creating quick and easy to do lists. Depending on the type of lists you need, and what you use them for, this can either be exactly what you are looking for, or it can be woefully short of the features you think you require. However, there are probably many people who want to be able to create simple to do lists without having to worry about the various settings and options - this app would be ideal for them.

Pros: Clean, easy to use interface, lacks the clutter of extra features

Cons: Lacks any sort of customization features

All in all, to do lists really come down to what a person is looking for. The same to do list program that one person likes may not appeal to someone else because it may be too complex, or it may not have the features they like. This app is for people who just want simple, quick to do lists where you can mark off the tasks asthey get completed. And in that sense, it achieves its goal perfectly. If you are looking for a more full features to-do list app, you will be very disappointed by this app. The price is cheap ($.99) and so you are not being overcharged. If you want something simple, give this app some consideration. I lowered the rating a little bit, simply because I would like to see some ability to customize the tasks - either sort them, prioritize them, have due dates, etc. But this is what I am looking for, so you may have a different rating in mind. Three and a half out of five stars .

Rating scale:

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
*** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
**** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benefits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro