Googles maps question

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Is there any way to load any of the maps/images that are used by google map onto the iPhone?

Sometimes when I am driving and I leave a 3G area, I still use google maps, but now the data connection prevents any phone calls.

It would also be nice to be able to use it when the phone and wifi are turned off.

If there isn't anything like that, I would love to see a GPS app where you can download certain maps from a server, and use the GPS without having wifi and/or the phone turned on. Even if it isn't turn my turn direction, but we could still use maps, still create routes, etc.

Chris

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
I would think there could be an app that caches maps - that would be different than turn by turn gps. Right?

Jeremy

Retired Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
www.iMore.com
I would think there could be an app that caches maps - that would be different than turn by turn gps. Right?

I would think so but I have a feeling Apple does not care. Apple may a have deal with Google to make sure they have the only mapping software on the phone. Very possible.

melwan

Dec 3, 2008
Visit site
If you are jailbroken, there is a free app called xGPS where it allows you to download the the selected area for offline use. It uses Google Maps API and the map rotates when you turn. Check it out here.

Rene Ritchie

Old Man Ritchie
Jan 12, 2007
www.about.me
When I was in the US without data, I used Google Maps at the hotel on WiFi, and then used the screen-shot feature to save the maps I needed to the camera roll.

When I headed out, I could check what I needed, whenever I needed.

'Bout close as we can get until they get the turn-by-turn licensing sorted out...

jamesus

TiPb Forum Staff
Jul 10, 2008
Visit site
When I was in the US without data, I used Google Maps at the hotel on WiFi, and then used the screen-shot feature to save the maps I needed to the camera roll.

When I headed out, I could check what I needed, whenever I needed.

'Bout close as we can get until they get the turn-by-turn licensing sorted out...

That is a real smart idea. I'll have to remember that next time I'm without data!

Grumps

Feb 12, 2009
www.nexxstudio.com
I think, in terms of direction, Google Maps cache should be able to get you through. This is what I normally do.

1) Access Google Map direction through a wifi source.
2) Proceed through all the step of directions
3) Return to step #1
4) Close Google Map until its needed again

I can run through my journey without any problem.

defender

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Wikimap

Check out the full version of Wikimap. It allows users to save open street maps (osm) for offline map navigation and browsing.

fub

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
assistance

If jailbroken you can get tomtom US and Canada. I have the UK and Ireland version and it works fine.

Last edited: