Review: Flush

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Okay, this app is billed as a "Texas hold-em style game without the cards". While this could be partially considered true, I think it is stretching it somewhat. However, it is not without it's merits, as I will describe below.

Flush is a game based on getting matching marbles. The "Texas hold-em" style aspect of the game is that you have some marbles in your "hand", your opponent has some marbles in his hand, and there are some community marbles. The goal is to try to have the most marble that match (they same color). If you tie with your opponent, you move on to the second most.

The three marbles in your hand are combined with the eight "community" marbles. You then simply tally up the most you have that are the same number, and compare that to the most your opponent has. If you have five that are the same color, and your opponent has four, you win! If you tie with your opponent, you move on to the second most.

The secondary goal of the game is to win your opponents money. Each your, you ante and bet if you will win. If you do end up winning, you get the money in the pot. If not, the opponent gets it. If you fold, the other player gets it automatically.

The "marbles" are made of five potential colors. The "deck" of marbles does not have a predetermined number of each color - rather each marble always has a 1/5 probability of being any color - no counting cards here! This has some advantages and disadvantages. This game seems to be entirely based on luck of the draw - since you can anticipate or predict the colors based on how many are left, you are simply left trying to figure out the probability of getting a certain color of marble. In addition, I am not sure how intelligent (or dumb) the computer AI is - can it be bluffed? While playing I have seen it fold occasionally, but not often.

This is atype of game that would be perfect for multiplayer, but alas there is no multiplayer option. In fact, there isn't even anything other than simply playing against one opponent, one round at a time. If you win your opponents money, you advance to the next level...which simply has more money and higher bets.

This game is fun to play for a while, but without some added features I lost interest pretty quickly. I could see playing it occasionally in the future, but not as an addictive game or anything like that.

Pros: Interesting concept, easy to learn

Cons: Lack of options and features limits the long term enjoyability of the game

All in all, for $.99 it might be fun to try, but don't expect too much from it. If the game continues to develop different options (multiplayer, multiple opponents, etc) then it might be better for long term enjoyment, but as it stands now I don't see it is a game that I will play too frequently. Three out of five stars.

Chris

Rating scale:

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
*** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
**** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benefits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FMHPro