Why are so many apps buggy?

pinny

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
Is it just me or does it seem like every app in the app store has at least one or two annoying bugs? Is the iPhone really that hard to develop for? I'm not just talking about the free apps. I paid 10 dollars for simcity and have to reboot every time I want to play. I'm not going to list every app on my phone and the associated bug, but I'm really kind of fustrated here.

zukir02

Jan 23, 2009
Visit site
I have about 10 apps on my phone and I dont have any problems with them. Have you tried restoring your phone? If the problem keeps happening I would contact apple about this and tell them what is going on and see what they do about it.

sting7k

Dec 15, 2008
Visit site
Some of ones done by small developers or just one person seem to be this way. Apps from large companies though tend to run very well and bug free. Those apps probably have a small team of people all working and have been able to do more checks than a single person or small dev. company working alone.

Just be careful and watch what you do, there are plenty of bug free great apps out there.

pinny

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
It's not just me. It seems the majority of the negative reviews I read on the app store are related to crashes or programs not starting. I'm not necessarily blaming the developers - it seems more of a problem due to the phone itself.

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
I use mostly free programs,,,, about 30 of them and a few paid apps,,, about 3 of them and haven't experienced a single bug. Maybe you just have bad luck.

Last edited:

jcjdoss

Jan 16, 2008
Visit site
A LOT of people are just putting together apps and learning along the way. Not that I am naming any names (ME). It is the best way to learn. The best thing the community could do is to buy these apps (if they look interesting) and support the smaller developers. These are the people that are not controlled by a company and are free to add user suggested features quickly.

technosexual

Jan 28, 2009
Visit site
I'm sure a community like this is well aware, but Apps like FreeMemory and iStat have helped me avoid app crashes. With that being said, I don't think it's necessarily the Apps, but rather the way memory is handled.

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the spam hez.........

I love to login to see whos posted in my subscribed threads only to find junk, spam @_!()!!!

logicBomb

Nov 22, 2008
Visit site
Memory is the main concern versus other platforms. There are a few gotyas with CoreAnimation that can also cause bugs, of which people new to Cocoa might not be aware.

-------------------------

Try my game Tetratile!

BananaBob

Feb 10, 2009
Visit site
A lot of it boils down to restarting your iPhone / Touch. That can cure all manner of ills. But then people write poor reviews on the Appstore without really having tried a few things first.

Feb 6, 2009
Visit site
As a developer of a sound-based app (100sounds.com), the most common complaint is "I'm not hearing any sounds!"

Without fail, they have their iPhone Ringer Switch on MUTE.

When they email us, our auto-responder tells them to check that, and we also follow up. Many of them don't even know they have such a switch. Also, to be fair, not all apps obey the switch, but our app does, so they might be conditioned into thinking it only applies to ringtones.

But the problem is the folks who DON'T contact us and post a bad review. Even if they figure it out later, they don't update the review.

So, bottom line, if you have trouble with an app, visit the developer's website, where they have a lot more room to offer help (iTunes limits you to 4,000 characters and 5 pictures). Our site has a Flash demo, FAQs, etc.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711