Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Beginner

69 Posts

Default Iphone for geocaching?

Do any of you use your iphone for geocaching? If so, what apps do you use and does it work well? I was going to buy a handheld gps but if my phone will work why spend the money. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Forum App Reviewer

540 Posts
    Global Posts
    542 Global Posts

I have a 2G phone, however, I use Geopher Lite. Its a 3.5/5 for me. I've heard iGeoCacher is good, but I haven't used it...yet
    iPhone Nanite

1 Posts
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts

I use mine all the time and have had very good luck with it for the most part. I have the geocaching app from geocaching.com. I also have hand held gps units. I am still using both for the most part. I use the hand held for a road map of how to get to the cache and then the gps for cache info and finding the cache. Works really well but I am pretty sure they are coming out with an update very soon that will give some bonus features.
    iPhone Newbie

25 Posts

I use the app from geocaching.com as well. I tried using it to replace my handheld GPS but it didn't have the accuracy on some of the tougher finds. So I now use it as a faster way to find geocaches nearby and then plug them into my handheld without having to plan ahead and download maps and such into my gps. Now when I travel, I just keep my GPS in my luggage and use my iPhone to find the cache details and the GPS to actually find the cache. Like bgattis said, i am awaiting an update to the app to add extra features like posting the find and photos, etc.

I know people who cache successfully with google map printouts and a lot of bushwacking so the iphone would be a huge step up for them. However I am used to my GPS taking me within feet of the cache now so it wasn't good enough for me.

Mark Homer