Review: Iconic Notes

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Iconic Notes has a different take on a note-taking program. Rather than simply provide a screen to type a message, or provide a number of input methods (like YouNote), Iconic Notes focuses on note categorization and organization.

When you start the program, you are presented with a "iPhone-like" screen with icons on them. Each icon represents either a note or a folder than contains more notes. Thus, rather than have a list of notes, you have a visual representation of notes, or note categories. One feature I really like is the included "help" note to show you how it works. If you delete it by mistake, you can add it again from the information screen.

From the main screen, you can create either a new note or create a subfolder to contain notes. For example, you may want to categorize notes based on location (work, home, friends, etc). Or you may want to categorize notes based on task (shopping, cleaning, bills, etc). You can create a folder for any category you want, and within that folder put as many notes as you like.

When you create a note, you have a number of options for personalizing a note. You can change the font style, size, and color. You can also change the background color. Nothing too involved, but a nice little touch of personalization. You can also rename a note (by tapping on the title) as well as change the icon of a note (the icon is what appears on the main page of the application). There is an included set of 8 icons (and four folder colors) to personalize the icon representing your note, and you can use any photo from your photo album as well as an icon. The included icons shows things like a shopping cart, a star, a person, and a check mark. Unfortunately, there is no way to import or edit the icons, but perhaps that will come in a future release.

One nice feature on a note is that you can make it "write protected". This will prevent any accidental deletion or alteration of the note - a nice feature if there is something very important that you want to keep around. You can also email a note if you like.

From the main screen, you can choose to email all notes (although I don't really know why you would want to email them all - it would be nice to be able to select which notes to email), import notes from a website text file or zip archive, and you can configure secure access. It is not incredibly secure, you simply create a security question and answer, but it does allow some folders to be "protected". When creating a security question, you can also input an email or SMS address to send the answer (should you forget).

This seems to be a pretty interesting and useful way to organize notes. As I said, the emphasis isn't on the kind of notes, or the information they contain, but more on how they are organized. I do wish there were some ways to import or create/edit additional icons, so you can expand beyond the 8 included icons.

Pros: Good interface, nice organization ability for keeping track of notes, some customization available

Cons: No way to edit and import icons

All in all, this is a good program if you are lookign for a way to organize your notes. While it doesn't alter the approach of taking notes, it focuses on how to keep track of them. The fact is uses an iPhone-like interface is nice, and makes it seem like it is part of the phone. It is now on sale for $.99, but the normal price is $2.99. Even at $2.99, the app is potentially useful enough that I would suggest it. Four and a half out of five stars.

Rating scale:

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
*** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
**** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benefits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating.

adrianaf

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Iconic Notes has a different take on a note-taking program. Rather than simply provide a screen to type a message, or provide a number of input methods (like YouNote), Iconic Notes focuses on note categorization and organization.

When you start the program, you are presented with a "iPhone-like" screen with icons on them. Each icon represents either a note or a folder than contains more notes. Thus, rather than have a list of notes, you have a visual representation of notes, or note categories. One feature I really like is the included "help" note to show you how it works. If you delete it by mistake, you can add it again from the information screen.

From the main screen, you can create either a new note or create a subfolder to contain notes. For example, you may want to categorize notes based on location (work, home, friends, etc). Or you may want to categorize notes based on task (shopping, cleaning, bills, etc). You can create a folder for any category you want, and within that folder put as many notes as you like.

When you create a note, you have a number of options for personalizing a note. You can change the font style, size, and color. You can also change the background color. Nothing too involved, but a nice little touch of personalization. You can also rename a note (by tapping on the title) as well as change the icon of a note (the icon is what appears on the main page of the application). There is an included set of 8 icons (and four folder colors) to personalize the icon representing your note, and you can use any photo from your photo album as well as an icon. The included icons shows things like a shopping cart, a star, a person, and a check mark. Unfortunately, there is no way to import or edit the icons, but perhaps that will come in a future release.

One nice feature on a note is that you can make it "write protected". This will prevent any accidental deletion or alteration of the note - a nice feature if there is something very important that you want to keep around. You can also email a note if you like.

From the main screen, you can choose to email all notes (although I don't really know why you would want to email them all - it would be nice to be able to select which notes to email), import notes from a website text file or zip archive, and you can configure secure access. It is not incredibly secure, you simply create a security question and answer, but it does allow some folders to be "protected". When creating a security question, you can also input an email or SMS address to send the answer (should you forget).

This seems to be a pretty interesting and useful way to organize notes. As I said, the emphasis isn't on the kind of notes, or the information they contain, but more on how they are organized. I do wish there were some ways to import or create/edit additional icons, so you can expand beyond the 8 included icons.

Pros: Good interface, nice organization ability for keeping track of notes, some customization available

Cons: No way to edit and import icons

All in all, this is a good program if you are lookign for a way to organize your notes. While it doesn't alter the approach of taking notes, it focuses on how to keep track of them. The fact is uses an iPhone-like interface is nice, and makes it seem like it is part of the phone. It is now on sale for $.99, but the normal price is $2.99. Even at $2.99, the app is potentially useful enough that I would suggest it. Four and a half out of five stars.

Rating scale:

* = No redeeming qualities or features, probably not worth it even if it is free
** = Few redeeming qualities, or is simply isn't worth the price
*** = Some good features but also some clear flaws.
**** = A solid app, worth the money if interested, a few flaws or problems or slightly overpriced
***** = Top of the line app, no problems or drawbacks.

Price is factored into the ratings. Ratings are lowered if I feel the price of the app outweighs the benefits/enjoyment/features it provides. Likewise, an app that is a good value for the money will have a higher rating.
Hello.

I need help please!

I have the iphone 4 in which I had my iconic notes app with a lot of information. (which I have synced to my mac). The problem is I updated my iphone to the latest version and now I cant seem to sync Iconic Notes back to my iphone. I checmark the iconic notes icon )which appears on my itunes on my mac ) and press sync, but the app wont sync, it just unchecks itself.

I have a lot of info there, how can I solve this or recover my info?

The iphone version is 5.1.1.

Also, since this update, my contact list has become a problem, the names triplicated or more, and they divided under diferent phone numbers

Example:

-Andres Vera
Home phone

-Andres vera
Mobile

-Andres vera
Address

Please help me solve this problem!!!

Thank you very much,

Adriana

Alli

Apr 28, 2009
Visit site
This review, again, was written back in 2008. The app is no longer available. Hrmmm...this tells me something. But what, you may ask?

Any further discussion suggests you are a spammer and I have my eye on you.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williams77