new notes app: NoteMaster

KabukiAdam

Nov 29, 2008
Visit site
Hello, I am the developer of NoteMaster, which recently hit the app store.

NoteMaster is a note-taking app with the unique ability to insert images and section headers in your notes along with the text in a WYSIWYG fashion. While other note apps allow you add images as a sort of "attachment", NoteMaster lets you put images right in the note where they belong. Combined with the abilities to categorize and password-protect your notes, and search for your notes via full-text search, NoteMaster is an ideal replacement for the built-in Notes app.

Here's a link to our web site, which includes more details and a demonstration video.

Kabuki Vision
support@kabukivision.com

Carl Sagan

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
Looks interesting, I'm presently deciding whether to get an iPhone or not, the lack native task apps is a slight off putter for me...

VettePilot

Nov 25, 2008
Visit site
I have been using NoteMaster since i received my iPhone a few days ago and it is a great improvement over the existing notes app on the iPhone.

I have two suggestions:

1) It would be great if there was a way to import notes without having to manually type everything. I have a list of notes on my Treo 700P that I would like to transfer to the NoteMaster App.

2) I would like to see the option of being able to create sub categories within existing categories.

If you could add those two capabilities then the program would be about perfect!

Thank you,

Jack

AalAli

Dec 4, 2008
Visit site
Adam
Nice Note app. i bought it from day 1!
Please add sync and better not be only by Wifi also with Edge network.
Also subcategories will be a plus!

KabukiAdam

Nov 29, 2008
Visit site
Hi everyone...sorry I didn't see that there were responses to my message...I guess I didn't have notifications turned on. Thanks to Jack for alerting me. :)

Syncing is definitely high on our list of thing to implement for future updates. I've done a lot of research into it already, and maybe you all can help us a bit in deciding which approach to take for syncing. It seems like every app on the store supports syncing in a different way, and its hard to determine which would work best for most people. Here are some options:

1) Ability to manually transfer/copy notes to/from the computer/iPhone. Many apps do this by running a mini-webserver on the iPhone and letting the user "browse" the contents of the phone from their computer via wifi. On the plus side, it requires no special software on the computer. The downside is that its not "true" syncing---the copying must be manually done from the computer.

2) Sync with contents of a folder on the computer via wifi. The user has to run a custom application/script on their computer which the iPhone communicates with, and the notes get synced with some user-specified folder on the computer. Plus side, true syncing. Downside, special software needed on your computer.

3) Sync with particular application(s) on the computer via wifi. Like #2, only instead on syncing with a folder, syncing with an app like Mail, Entourage, or Outlook. Same plusses/minuses and #2. Additional minus that its difficult to cover all the platforms/applications that our customers night want.

4) Sync with an existing web-based service. Google Docs is a good candidate for this. Or something like Evernote or Toodledo. The plusses are no special software on the computer needed, the notes would be available online and could be accessed anywhere, on any platform, on any OS. Notes can be downloaded from Google Docs to your computer, either manually, of via any number of existing syncing applicaions. The downside, is that if you really just wanted to transfer notes to/from your computer, its two-step process since the web service in the middle man. Also, some people just don't like the idea of their data being out on the web somewhere.

So, pretty much all the options are some variation of one of these concepts. It has been our experience so far that everyone wants something different, so I'm curious what every one here thinks.

I'll pay more active attention to this thread, so I'd love to hear any further comments or questions. I'm glad you are enjoying NoteMaster!

Adam

PS The sub-category idea is an interesting one. Our goal for NoteMaster is to make it as powerful as can be while still keeping it simple and easy for the user. Hopefully there is a way we can add sub-categories while still maintaining a certain elegance to the interface.