Internet RadioBox - get it while it's free

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Free for only 3000 downloads. Shoutcast and Icecast only at the moment but the developer says wma to follow. I haven't used it much (because no wma = no BBC) but UI looks good and the promise of low battery drain is pretty attractive.

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
I tried, but apparently when I was downloading it last night, it was in the process of being changed from free to $2.99. I kept getting a message about the app being changed.

Tunnelrunner

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
I got the app and it's pretty cool and all, but how exactly do you ADD radio stations that aren't in the icecast or shoutcast directories? For example here in Chicago, I want to add ESPN AM1000 WMVP as well as WSCR 670 AM "The Score.".

I take it not all radio stations are available for Internet steaming to the iPhone?

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
I got the app and it's pretty cool and all, but how exactly do you ADD radio stations that aren't in the icecast or shoutcast directories? For example here in Chicago, I want to add ESPN AM1000 WMVP as well as WSCR 670 AM "The Score.".
If you know the URL of a compatible feed you can add it: Favorites > Edit > +

Tunnelrunner

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
Marcol,

Right, but where do you find the correct URL of the feed? Would it possibly be somewhere on the station's website or would I have to call the station itself?

I know I sound like a noob here, but I never really got into steaming and podcasts till now.

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Tunnelrunner,

Sorry if I gave the impression I know what I'm talking about here. I'm pretty much new to this too.

Anyway, I have good news and bad news. The bad news is I've looked a bit for the two stations you mentioned and can't find any mp3/ACC streams, which I think are the only ones Internet RadioBox supports.

The good news (maybe) is that an alternative app that I strongly recommend, WunderRadio, appears to play both:

ESPN.jpg

Score.jpg

I've listened to both (the pics are from my iPhone) and all seems well. To find ESPN 1000 I used the search function in the app (tap 'Stations' and type 'ESPN 1000' in the search box). I didn't have to search for The Score 670 as it's linked of the ESPN 1000 screen in the 'Other stations like this' bit (see top pic). You can find WunderRadio on the app store but you'll have to pay for it (in the UK it's ?3.49, so it will probably be $5 or $6 in the US). I use the app all the time to listen to BBC stations and I think it's great.

Tunnelrunner

Jul 7, 2008
Visit site
One other question, Marcol: can you use any other apps while you're listening to Wunder radio (ex: surf the net while streaming live)? As soon as I exit out of the app, the feed stops. Not a big deal I guess, since that's just friggin cool that I can even listen to the radio on my iPhone in the first place!
Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

marcol

Aug 31, 2005
Visit site
Unfortunately Apple doesn't allow any third-party app to run in the background so they all quit when you leave them. Apple reserves the ability to run in the background for its own apps (like iPod, which keeps playing when you switch to another app, including third-party apps). You can, I believe, run any app in the background if you jailbreak your phone and use something called Backgrounder. I haven't tried this because I haven't jailbroken my phone. I find the prospect a little daunting not least because of potential warranty issues, but I tempted just so that I can listen to the radio while I'm doing other stuff on the device. There's a couple of forums here at TiPb just to do with jailbreaking and jailbreak apps and I think I might start hanging out there.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2