Better Calendar Application?

Frozen001

Nov 3, 2008
Visit site
Anyone have a recommendation for a better Calendar app??

I like everything else about my iPhone, except the calendar. I really would like to have catagories on the calendar much like outlook... Multiple calendars works, but is combersome. Also what about "snoozing" reminders?

Thanks

hotrod#AC

Jan 31, 2006
Visit site
Personally I like using SmartTime. There are numerous more option than the Calendar.app on the iPhone the only thing lacking is the background reminder function (which is against the SDK for 3rd party apps.) or even the little red number that appears on the icon on your spring board.

You can see my review of it here.
There are videos at the bottom of the review for your viewing pleasure. ;)

I wouldn't classify this as a solution. While it seems to be a good looking task and OK calendar app, there is no way to synchronize the data from this app with Outlook or any other desktop based PIM.

I use Outlook with Exchange and having everything in sync on my PC and my iPhone is critical. Pocket Informant, while it is not a released and usable product yet, will be able to handle task and calendar syncing.

duman95

Nov 10, 2008
Visit site
I feel your pain. Here is what I do today...

Sync my Outlook Calendar to Google Calendar, using the free google sync app
Use SaiSuke on my iPhone to see the calendar. It supports 2 ways sync so I am good there.

Tasks it does not do.. So...
I moved from using outlook tasks to using Toodledo. I just open up a tab in Firefox for it and use it as my todo list on my PC. I use the Toodledo app on my iPhone.

$9.99 for SaiSuke and $3.99 for the Toodleo app. A bit less then the PI $19.99 but I am still interested in PI coming from Windows Mobile where I used it for years... We shall see...

I really don't like the iPhone iCal coming from PI it was a let down...

PDACPA#IM

Nov 11, 2008
Visit site
I agree, the Calendar (and iCal on the Mac) and lack of an integrated ToDo on the iphone (iCal has an underpowered todo) does not cut it for me.

I know many people use the free google calendar which outlook will sync with.

I am trying to work with the Mobile Me. The push email which seems to have been the big problem, is not an issue.

I add entries to the calendar and they update on Mobile Me which I can access via Safari on my PC of my Mac. No problems. I have multiple calendars, can show all or individual ones on the iphone or on my Mobile Me calendar. I also access it via my Mac Mini with ical. Everything syncs and works perfect.

My problem is the To Do list. I tend to have more ToDo lists items than appt. So I just add "All Day" appt for my Todo's on the calendar. They display at the top of the day and are color coded by calendar.

I have everything on my phone and can find things easily. Even the print out looks nice (Wish I could customize it more) and is a sort of work around with what I already have and own (you do not need Mobile Me for this, but you have no way to print the calendar as far as I know).

I want a better (and more feature and integrated todo with the calendar app) and the ability to have my secretary access my work calendar (it can be via mobile me in a browser) to add and change appt.

Frozen001

Nov 3, 2008
Visit site
Looks like a good app, but still lacks background reminders... Sure it has sms, e-mail etc., but I would rather just have the reminders built in...

bergman

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
Is there a jailbroken app? I'm another Palm to iPhone convert, but I too miss the to do list. Off topic, I miss the "memo" app that synchs. Anyone here found a good alternative? That's one app that I have not yet found and I need to move the memos off my old Palm desktop.

dannielo

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
If you'd like a tool for managing your time and projects, you can use this application inspired by David Allen's GTD:

Gtdagenda.com

You can use it to manage and prioritize your goals, projects and tasks, set next actions and contexts, use checklists, schedules and a calendar.

sirlojack

Jan 6, 2009
Visit site
i would like the current calender app to be able to set to be reminded to call someone out of your contacts list and dial the number when the reminder pops up

bergman

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
Jailbroken is no problem. has anyone developed a JB app to handle reminders using the backrounder app mentioned earlier?
Why is Apple so against background apps? is it concern for battery life? The Palm OS has handled this for years.

gahms

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Month Calendar

I use Month Calendar and it works great for me. It gives a much better overview than the built-in calendar and it uses the iPhone built-in calendar database so switching is easy and it is easy to switch back.

I think there is also a free version with ads if you want to give it a spin without buying (or simply to not mind the ads).

pbombach

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Fortnight

A recent entry into the world of iPhone calendaring is Fortnight (BlueEagleSoftware.com). It provides a unique take on iPhone calendaring by showing your calendar in two week increments all on one screen. Check it out on iTunes.

I realize that this thread is quite old, but thought the info might be useful if anyone were to stumble upon it.

pmb

lightroomapps

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Calendar app

I think you have to try GoCal app, it works quite well and you can add as many accounts as you want. You can see up to 6 weeks and make various changes with your schedule. Highly recommend this app.

bergman

Jun 10, 2008
Visit site
Calvetica is the best I've found to date. I've been using it for 4 or 5 months and it just works well, handles multiple calendars and flexible views.

nicmeredith

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I used to use miCal a lot. It is like $1.99 in the app store I think, but it works pretty well for a calendar app. It has an agenda view, day view, week view, month view and year view. There is a built in birthday reminder so if you have a contact in your address book with a birthday coming up you can set it to remind you, also shows the weather. You can buy a to do list that is built in the app for an additional $0.99 I think... I used to use this app a lot more when my life was super busy, at this time I don't need all that extra functionality. Color codes your events too.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods