Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iMore Guru

1,522 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,608 Global Posts

Default Kids Corner Review: Papi River

Woo-hoo, another Papi-game.

If you haven't tried Papi Jump, you might want to give it a try. It is a surprisingly addictive game, and even though I classify it as a "Kid's Game" adults might like it as well.

So now we review Papi River. Anyone ever play those old "Canyon Flight" games? I remember playing those back on my amber monochrom monitor with my parents Leading Edge computer (that, and Castle). Well, the concept of Papi River is very similar.

You are the smiley face. You goal - to continue to traverse the river, which is flowing upwards. Your problem - every time you touch the edge of the river, you get "bounced" upward a little bit. Touch it too many time, and you are bounced off the top of the screen - game over.

So you move back and forth, avoiding the edges of the river, by tilting the iPhone. But dont' tilt it too much, because your momentum will carry you to the other side of the river.

Much like Papi Jump, this is a simple concept with pretty basic graphics. But also like Papi Jump, it can be pretty addicting. You will find yourself frantically tilting your iPhone back and forth to avoid the edges of the river, while yelling "No, no, don't go that far!"....or at least I did.

The graphics aren't anything to write home about, but for this game they don't need to be. Simple graphics actually work pretty well.

My daughter liked this game, although she got frustrated pretty quickly because she had a hard time "fine tuning" her tilting. As such, her games ended pretty quickly. But she still liked it, and she liked watching me play. Go figure.

Pros: Engaging concept, easy game play
    Cons: If you want something fancy, this isn't it.

All in all, for a free game, this one has surprising replay value. It's not something you will sit and spend hours playing, but for a quick mental break every now and then, it does the trick. 4 out of 5 stars.