Kids Corner Review: Matches

cjvitek

Jul 5, 2008
Visit site
Matches is a straightforward, tile-turning match game. Think Memory (or any of the other various incarnations that have appears throughout the years.

The object is simple, flip over the tiles in a 4x4 grib to review the hidden pattern. You flip over two tiles at a time, trying to match up identical patterns.

Easy, huh.

This is a very straighforward app, and my daughter loves it. It is probably her favorite game on my iPhone.

The application comes with some nice customization ability as well. You can choose between numbers, letters, or symbols that appear. With numbers and letters, it would be a great way to get the kids starting to be able to recognize the alphabet and numbers (too bad you don't have an option to have a voice repeat the letter or number, or the sound the letter makes).

You can also have a timer option. My daughter doesn't like the pressure of a time limit, so she always has it on 0, but you can go from 10 seconds up to 3 minutes.

Beyond that, the game is exactly what it says. It would be nice if you could add vary levels of complexity (instead of 4x4, maybe flip to horizonal view for a 4x6 grid, or some other way to make more tiles). But as a simple memory style game, this game is tops. And you can't beat the price - free!

There is a pay version (Matches deluxe) that seems more aimed at non-kids. When in symbol mode, the games get progressively harder and harder (presumably the symbols become more similar). It also have more animation, and you can keep track of scores. If you are getting this for yourself, you may want to look into it, but if the game is for a young child, the free version should be fine.

Pros: Simple, easy to play, kids can play many times over
Cons: No option for more complex or difficult matching games

All in all, for a free app, this is nicely developed. If you have a child who plays on your iPhone AND likes memory games, there is no reason not to have this. 5 out of 5 stars.

Chris

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomwex73