Welcome to the iMore Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread AuthorThread Author   #1  
    iPhone Nanite

1 Posts

Default Review: Ambiance

Overall review ****

If you're like me and have trouble sleeping or concentrating in noisy, disruptive environments, you'll love Ambiance.

It's a .99 cent application that quite simply plays many soothing sounds and variations of white noise. When I have trouble sleeping, I'll often turn on a fan for the white noise, but this application offers a much better option. It plays 14 relaxing sounds: birds, blue noise, clock, creek, crickets, fan, machine, pink noise, rain, violet noise, waterfall, waves, white noise and wind. I have found all of the sounds to be realistic.

The application also includes a timer, allowing you to have the noise turn off after anywhere from 1 minute to 24 hours.

My only complaint about the application is a relatively minor one. Some of the sounds seem to have been created a different volume levels. So, as an example, the white noise can be heard clearly when the iphone is set to a low volume, but the machine noise can barely be heard at the same level.

Pros: Cheap, simple to use, multiple soothing sounds
    Cons: Volume levels seem to vary from sound to sound
    iPhone Nanite

6 Posts

I have this app and like it overall, but I think the white/pink/etc... noise is just that... noise. Who needs that junk. I would have enjoyed wind chimes or babbling brook or other sounds.
    iPhone Intermediate

408 Posts
    Global Posts
    643 Global Posts

white/pink/blue whatever noises are supposed to be therapeutic or something.. i too like this app... nice review..
    iPhone Newbie

17 Posts

Default Who needs that junk?

Me. I need it. I'm a combat veteran having spent a year in Iraq, and 3 years around M1 A1 Tanks, Black Hawk Helicopters, and another year around Armored personnel carriers. I'm disabled in my hearing due to the LOUD LOUD LOUD Tinnitus that is with me 24-7 and literally screams in my head (no, not from PTSD). So this is a great review for me. I have to have a fan on in the room to drown out the Tin. so I'm going to give this a try.

Thanks for the review
    iPhone Newbie

13 Posts

Default White Noise

I also like the free White Noise app from TM Soft. You can select different types of noises, adjust volume, and set a timer for turning off the sound so your phone is not dead in the morning.