I just thought of an application that i thought would be kinda cool

timebomb16

Jun 22, 2008
Visit site
keep in mind that this is as rough as they come (i just thought of this like 2 seconds ago)

So imagine that your at a famous landmark, thousands of people in and out every day. what if you could leave a little bit of your experience behind. Think of it as a sort of digital graffiti, leaving behind a note, or signature book. You can leave notes in certain spots that can be read by other people that visit that spot. They can comment on the notes or add they're own to the landmark. It's like sharing your experience with the world.

I don't really know how it could be accomplished but it would be interesting to be at say the colosseum and read someone's post that there's a great gelato place down the road by the Roman Forum(in fact there is :p). Maybe it can use geo codes like can be done with images . . . . .

Please if you can make this a reality,send me a message i would love to see where this can go.

anon(1217668)

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
I'd imagine its possible with the right resources. The simple demo app in the WWDC08 video, http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/0806wdt546x/event/index.html, filtered his address book to only nearby contacts. Should be similar enough, instead of contacts, it could filter uploads points within "X" miles. Only catch would be you'd have to have somewhere online to host the uploads for everyone to access. Might not work exactly like you have in mind, but close.

Great idea timebomb16, and there's my slightly more technical approach if anyone wants to give it a shot. I'd imagine the app would be easy enough for a single developer, heck I'd give it a shot if I had a Mac to run the SDK on, the big obstacle would be distribution of points whether realtime online or some other way.

Last edited:

timebomb16

Jun 22, 2008
Visit site
yeah . . your right. i was thinking of how the data could be stored and distributed to only the place that it's meant to be. i wish that i knew how to write code. i really want to learn because i have all these cool ideas for apps but i can't make them a reality. (i don't even know what programing language the iPhone uses, objective C?)

anon(1217668)

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
Actually I was just checking out some software for my current Blackberry and found this... SpotJots - Join. Says it's coming soon to the app store. Looks quite like what you described so I'll test it on my BB and see how it is.

anon(1217668)

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
Looks like it can do what you're asking for. Seems pretty neat and pretty well done. Here's the link to my test post if you wanna check it out. Just took a pic of my computer screen, lol. SpotJots - Error.

Don't ask why it says "SpotJots - Error" it works fine even if I'm not logged in.

Last edited:

timebomb16

Jun 22, 2008
Visit site
Looks like it can do what you're asking for. Seems pretty neat and pretty well done. Here's the link to my test post if you wanna check it out. Just took a pic of my computer screen, lol. SpotJots - Error.

Don't ask why it says "SpotJots - Error" it works fine even if I'm not logged in.

hehe nice . . . so there's going to be an iPhone App for this? can you use it like a blog type of thing too?

anon(1217668)

Jul 4, 2008
Visit site
Not really sure, but it looks like it. To add a "jot" you get to enter a title, a message, choose a category (default to "mobologging"- mobile blogging I guess), add a picture, send to another site, choose a location (Verizon doesn't let other apps use the GPS chip so I have to set it manually), and if I want it public to all spotjot users, or private.

As far as sending to another site, it looks like you can also post it on your Facebook wall, as a Facebook feed (not quite sure what that means), Blogger, Twitter, and TypePad.