GPS app for old iphone: yes or no?

MagicSiebz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
i was just wondering if any 3rd party is going to creat a gps for the current iphone. that would be the only main reason that i would update to 3g. so if anyone could let me know, then thanks.

questionfear

Nov 4, 2006
Visit site
i was just wondering if any 3rd party is going to creat a gps for the current iphone. that would be the only main reason that i would update to 3g. so if anyone could let me know, then thanks.

No. The best it could get is a more robust location triangulation than what Google Maps currently offers. The 3G iPhone will have an actual GPS chip in it that will work in conjunction with the cell towers, so without the GPS chip a mapping program is pretty useless.

If you're trying to determine whether a bluetooth gps receiver will be available, probably not. With the inclusion of GPS in the second iteration, it seems unlikely anyone would want to support GPS only for the first generation. By the time they had a product on the market the original would be over a year old, probably closer to 2 years...and there just wouldn't be a big enough audience, since they'd be developing for a discontinued product where their market would constantly be shrinking as people upgraded to newer iPhones or other phones.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
If the question is whether GPS software will work with the old phone, then yes. It just won't be very accurate.

burnsaa

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
To bad they dont open up the bluetooth part of the phone so that BT GPS recievers work like they do on WM then all of the people who didnt want to upgrade just for 3G could then just buy a BT GPS reciever and get all the cool location programs while saving battery life. I wonder if there is anyway the hacking community could come up with a way to do this?

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
There are rumors and debates about this issue. Apparently TomTom already has software that works on the iPhone for GPS navigation. But the issue is whether or not Apple will allow them sell the software. Maybe Apple is working with Google on creating their own GPS app. We will see once the App Store is out and the iPhone 3G is widely available.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomas Woods