What GPS Apps do you want to see?

anon(4661222)

May 30, 2008
Visit site
With GPS looking likely to be included in the new iPhone, what kind of applications would you like to see?

There are so many interesting possibilities, here's one:

I'd like, when someone calls, to be able to transmit my location to the other person's phone (don't know if that would work w/ anything beside another iPhone).

burnsaa

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
I wonder if tomtom will be selling their software in the app store.
I enjoyed it on my treo 750. Would definetly look into getting it for the iPhone especially if you could load/buy certain maps in the app store so if you only wanted one state or a group of states it would cost less and not take up so much memory. Or you could buy them all and just load certain states through iTunes... Not sure that's possible but would be nice.

Limozulu

May 31, 2008
Visit site
I think that Madpod's idea is kinda cool but it'll only work if the other person has an iPhone. Another thing im looking for is normal GPS for travelling, but also the option to download maps for all around the globe, since im traveling alot outside of America and Europe.

Doug in NoCo

May 31, 2008
www.dougsolo.blogspot.com
I read something earlier about google developing a reader application for the iphone, which would truly be the best time-waster app that i could ask for. Anyone else have difficulties keeping up with their RSS feeds?

neolite

May 31, 2008
Visit site
Burnsa, I don't think that this would be too useful. The iphone supports a complete world map already by downloading info as needed from the Google Maps server.

However, I hope someone makes some cool geocaching addons, that would be neat.

burnsaa

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
Neolite, The only difference there is you have to download it as you go like Telenav or what ever at&t uses for blackberries and other smartphones. The downsides of that are one you are constantly downloading which you would need 3g to do so right there you are using your 3g radio as well as the gps which means you are losing alot of battery life. Another down side is Telenav costs $10 a month now I'm not saying there wont be anyone else that will make it a flat rate but right now there isnt. I would rather buy the maps and have them stored on my phone.

Also I seem to remeber reading something about how tomtom or one of those guys was saying that if you purchased their software for your blackberry you wouldnt have to pay for updates when they came out. That was however just for the life of your phone so it didnt move with you when you upgraded to a new phone.

If however you are just saying use google maps for turn by turn directions thats an entirely different thing. I would much rather have the voice prompts as well as the 3D views with arrows telling me to turn left in 100ft. That is one thing I really miss about my treo.

As far as geocaching I 100% agree and would love to see that!

WatersWest

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
I think Madpod's original idea is a little too stalker-like, and kinda creepy. I do like the idea of Tom-Tom selling their software via the app store. Of course, can you imagine the battery drain if using it the same way a Tom-Tom is typically used? You would definitely need a car plug at that point, but turn-by-turn directions would be nice.

IrishJK09

May 30, 2008
Visit site
So long as it works with the Maps application, I will be happy. I have never been big on turn by turn directions... Wait, let me rephrase... I have never been big on paying for turn by turn directions, so using the GPS to find my location and then use my location to get standard GMaps directions works for me. The GPS will still move along the "route" to let me know if I am approaching a turn, and I can just read the turn blurb as needed.

xintelinsanex

May 30, 2008
Visit site
So long as it works with the Maps application, I will be happy. I have never been big on turn by turn directions... Wait, let me rephrase... I have never been big on paying for turn by turn directions, so using the GPS to find my location and then use my location to get standard GMaps directions works for me. The GPS will still move along the "route" to let me know if I am approaching a turn, and I can just read the turn blurb as needed.
I like turn by turn directions, especially if it is speech enabled. I can focus on driving and just listen to the directions. I don't think the iPhone will have this spoken text, but it would be nice.

Reaktor5

May 31, 2008
Visit site
I like turn by turn directions, especially if it is speech enabled. I can focus on driving and just listen to the directions. I don't think the iPhone will have this spoken text, but it would be nice.

There may be an app being developed that will do speech enabled turn by turn directions.

burnsaa

Oct 26, 2006
Visit site
I'm confused I thought 3rd party apps were able to use the speaker didn't they show off the star fighter video game with all its 3d sound coolness. Or is that only being used with headphones?

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
I'm confused I thought 3rd party apps were able to use the speaker didn't they show off the star fighter video game with all its 3d sound coolness. Or is that only being used with headphones?

No reason it can't do speech output. Coders have to implement their own text-to-speech algorithm and provide their own phoneme recordings; the desktop MacOS support for speech output is not (thus far) present in the iphone.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
Neolite, The only difference there is you have to download it as you go like Telenav or what ever at&t uses for blackberries and other smartphones. The downsides of that are one you are constantly downloading which you would need 3g to do so right there you are using your 3g radio as well as the gps which means you are losing alot of battery life.

If you are "constantly downloading" it means you are moving a pretty large distance or at a pretty high speed (that is, if I am walking 10 blocks, the entire relevant map area is downloaded in one shot in all likelihood).

If you are moving a large distance or at a pretty high speed, you are probably in a vehicle, and can probably plug your phone into the lighter to keep it charged.

cmaier

Jun 29, 2007
Visit site
I think Madpod's original idea is a little too stalker-like, and kinda creepy. I do like the idea of Tom-Tom selling their software via the app store. Of course, can you imagine the battery drain if using it the same way a Tom-Tom is typically used? You would definitely need a car plug at that point, but turn-by-turn directions would be nice.

My wife has asked me to write an application that would enable us to locate each other on the map. Also to write an application that enables one to set a location "bookmark"; for example, before walking into a mall or airport, one could hit an on-screen button and save the location of one's parked car so one can easily re-locate it later, or transmit the location to one's spouse (or other selected folks) to enable him or her to find it.

IrishJK09

May 30, 2008
Visit site
There are no 3G BlackBerry devices for At&t at this time, yet the Curve offers the At&t Navigator service (TeleNav rebranded). 3G is not a requirement for GPS mapping programs at all. Yeah, it will make the map download faster, but it isn't required.

As for spoken directions. The iPhone is plenty capable of it and it has nothing to do with Apple. It depends on the app developer to implement it for use.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711