Wait for 8 or 7S/SE?

Nabooy

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
I am pretty torn here as I have no idea what to do for this year. Should I just wait for the i8 this year as it releases or wait for the 7S red color? Or wait for the newly SE if possible?

I currently got the SE and I think it is time for an upgrade.

anon(10210323)

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
Wait for the 8!! Hey that rhymes.

Look at it this way: If you get the 7s Red or an updated SE, when the 8 comes out in September you'll wish you waited. If you wait for the eight you'll have no regrets! :cool:

Nabooy

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
But when will the 7S red, the updated SE and the 8 will be released? Are we talking about 3 new iPhones to be out within this year?!

TheUnknownUser

Aug 17, 2015
Visit site
You also have to take into account if they'll release a red iPhone right away or if they'll do it again anyway. This was a first for apple to have a new color after the phones had already been released.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
The 7s and 7s Plus should be released in September. The new iPhone Edition (or whatever) may or may not be released in September. It could be delayed. Apple hasn't said.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I'd wait. What is another 5 months?

I use plain math to decide such things. 7/12 has passed, and 5/12 is left. 5 is less than 7, so the wait is justified.

Last edited:

Annie_M

Mar 2, 2016
Visit site
I am pretty torn here as I have no idea what to do for this year. Should I just wait for the i8 this year as it releases or wait for the 7S red color? Or wait for the newly SE if possible?

I think you mean the 7 red. There is no 7s yet... or 8. Nobody knows what the next iPhone will be called! There's so much speculation! If I were you, I'd wait to see what is announced in the fall, and then make your decision! I'm in the same boat as you are (except that I have a 6s), so I totally understand where you're coming from! :)

bmhillegass87

Apr 12, 2017
Visit site
I felt same way about the SE. Love it, but felt like I needed an upgraded. Treated myself to the 7 yesterday. Very happy thus far and somewhat kept the form factor with the smaller of the 2 choices!

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
@Nabooy, this question comes up fairly often so I'll give my 'standard' reply. If you need an upgrade now for various reasons. The iPhone 7 is a great choice and will meet all your needs. Really is a spectacular product.

If you are happy to wait for an upgrade, the next SE model may only come early next year. So that may be a little to far down the road. So your next best option would be the iPhone 7s in September.

But as I said, iPhone 7 right now is still a perfect choice. It's only .7" inches bigger than the SE :)

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
If you can wait...then wait. You won't be disappointed if you do. You'll either end up with the latest and greatest of you'll pick one of the other offerings. But if you make your purchase now when you COULD HAVE waited, you may regret it if you see something you like down the road.

Nobody can make this decision for you. But if you're here asking, it probably means you're curious as to what may be releasing in the future. In that case, I'd say wait.

lemony0

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site
I wouldn't go out of my way to buy a red phone, that just seems like craziness to me. As we get closer to September the answer is increasingly obvious: Wait. Hopefully there are no supply issues but even if there are something tells me this release will be the first in a while to blow out socks off.

TG_USMC_VET

Apr 29, 2017
Visit site

I'd definitely wait!

w00cash1020

Nov 24, 2015
Visit site
I wouldn't go out of my way to buy a red phone, that just seems like craziness to me. As we get closer to September the answer is increasingly obvious: Wait. Hopefully there are no supply issues but even if there are something tells me this release will be the first in a while to blow out socks off.

I read on some tech sites it might not be in september but around november.

anon(10210323)

Apr 6, 2017
Visit site
Some people think that the SE is already in need of an upgrade? It's not that old is it? I just picked up the 128GB SE, and I think it'll last me for many years.
The SE was upgraded at the end of March this year, from 16/64gb options to 32/128. There won't be another upgrade to this device this year.

There may be upgrades to the SE in March 2018 however, but that is just speculation. Other than iOS upgrades the SE does not need an upgrade and won't for two or three years because of its unusual screen/processor combo. It has an A9 processor driving an 5/5S screen - meaning the A9 has a lot of spare time. The current SE will be able to run at flagship speed and power for a looooong time.