Wireless Charging - a necessity for the next iPhone?

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Having wireless charging on my  Watch I'm really looking forward to wireless charging on the iPhone. Not a deal breaker by any means if it doesn't have it but I really want it (trying to plug in at night can be a pain)

Anyone else looking forward to wireless charging in the next iPhone?

Ecm

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Well, I certainly missed wireless charging when I switched from an Android device to the 7Plus. It was very convenient. In both the car and at my desk and bedside table. Particularly at night, as you mentioned. It's much easier to drop the device on a pad or stand that has a discrete led than to locate and plug in while in a dark room.

Dgray2712

Dec 7, 2016
Visit site
I have had a couple of Android devices with wireless charging. I do miss it, and would like to see it in the next iPhone. But not a deal breaker.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Is wireless charging a "necessity " for the next iPhone? I don't think it is, but it would be an added benefit, in my opinion, especially being that my car had built-in wireless charging...

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I used it on my Galaxy phones but it's really not that big of deal to me. I'd like true wireless charging though. If that was possible it would be cool to walk into a room and know my phone was charging no matter where I put it down. Otherwise I'm still using a wire. I just don't plug it into the phone and I can't even pick it up to use it.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
Several of the Android devices I had did have that feature. I think I used it one time and thought "eh, no big deal". Doesn't matter to me one way or the other.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I'm kind of indifferent about wireless charging. I usually charge my phone before bedtime. I like having a full charge going in to slumber. During my waking hours, I'm using my phone most of the time and charge while doing so. If we could use our device while wireless charging, that would be nice. Otherwise, it wouldn't be useful to me.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
I currently have wireless charging on my device (Blackberry Priv) and I never use it. So to me, if i purchased the iPhone 7s or 8 and Apple left it out, i wouldn't be upset. :) Don't get me wrong, it's a lovely feature to have and I know A LOT of people use it and prefer it over a cable but its not something that would be a deal breaker for me.

That being said, if Apple wants to keep up with the Android world, i would say they need to add it in. Just like they were lagging behind with NFC. It wasn't ultra important to have, but it was a nice feature that I'm sure many would have loved a year earlier :)

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I currently have wireless charging on my device (Blackberry Priv) and I never use it. So to me, if i purchased the iPhone 7s or 8 and Apple left it out, i wouldn't be upset. :) Don't get me wrong, it's a lovely feature to have and I know A LOT of people use it and prefer it over a cable but its not something that would be a deal breaker for me.

That being said, if Apple wants to keep up with the Android world, i would say they need to add it in. Just like they were lagging behind with NFC. It wasn't ultra important to have, but it was a nice feature that I'm sure many would have loved a year earlier :)

I think with it being on the Apple Watch, I would be surprised if it wasn't on the next iPhone.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
For me personally? No, not a necessity.

I don't miss wireless charging at all. I actually grew to somewhat dislike "wireless" charging with my Nexus. To me, it just seems like a gimmick. With wireless charging, if I need to pick the phone up for anything, I stop charging. At least when I'm wired, I can lift up the phone to take a call without needing to use speakerphone or a Bluetooth headset... I can pick up the phone to take a picture, or pound out an email without hovering over my desk poking at the phone on its wireless charging pad. I certainly never felt like I was saving an important amount of time just dropping on to a pad versus taking a couple extra seconds to plug in a cable, especially for the trade off in usability while charging.

But that is my personal experience and opinion. Your mileage may vary.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
With wireless charging, if I need to pick the phone up for anything, I stop charging. At least when I'm wired, I can lift up the phone to take a call without needing to use speakerphone or a Bluetooth headset... I can pick up the phone to take a picture, or pound out an email without hovering over my desk poking at the phone on its wireless charging pad.

Very good point. Thanks for pointing that out!

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Wireless charging isn't a big deal for me. I can't think of anything charging related that the iPhone needs in the next release

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I used it on my Galaxy phones but it's really not that big of deal to me. I'd like true wireless charging though. If that was possible it would be cool to walk into a room and know my phone was charging no matter where I put it down. Otherwise I'm still using a wire. I just don't plug it into the phone and I can't even pick it up to use it.

Out of curiosity, does this exist in any device? Not just cell phones but does anything have this capability. That would be sweet if it came to our iPhones but I'm interested in knowing if that technology has been achieved on any level?

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Out of curiosity, does this exist in any device? Not just cell phones but does anything have this capability. That would be sweet if it came to our iPhones but I'm interested in knowing if that technology has been achieved on any level?

I am positive they are working on it and the first one to get that out is going to really have an advantage IMO. To me that would be some real innovation that is useful.

I don't believe any other products are using that tech right now though.

Quis89

Ambassador
Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I am positive they are working on it and the first one to get that out is going to really have an advantage IMO. To me that would be some real innovation that is useful.

I don't believe any other products are using that tech right now though.

For me, that'd be the only reason I'd be excited for wireless charging. I'm not too interested in wireless charging that I still have to set my phone down for. My uses don't really show an advantage for that. I had wireless charging WAAAAY back when I was using the Palm Pre (Which is still hands down my favorite phone I've ever used and I wish someone would resurrect it) and it was fine but it didn't really change my charging experience for the better.

Nubwy

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
Well, I certainly missed wireless charging when I switched from an Android device to the 7Plus. It was very convenient. In both the car and at my desk and bedside table. Particularly at night, as you mentioned. It's much easier to drop the device on a pad or stand that has a discrete led than to locate and plug in while in a dark room.
Have to agree. I am not convinced thus far with the USB C connection port on my S8 in the dark is any easier than micro USB. I never had any issue with the older port, but now it seems harder to fully push in the type c connector. Wireless makes it so much easier!

nucks26

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
I wouldn't say it's a necessity because Apple seems to be successful at implementing features at their own pace. For example, certain Android manufacturers try to pack a lot of new technology into their devices that no one may ever use. Apple has always had a user friendly device, and wireless charging is certainly user friendly. I'd love to see it in the iPhone 8, but I don't think it's a do or die feature.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234