Do you think the iPhone 8 will come with an integrated SIM Card?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
It's been rumored for a few years now that Apple is working on an integrated SIM Card for in iPhones.
The idea behind it is that you no longer need a SIM Card from your carrier. Instead you just give them the information on your iPhone and they activate the phone on their side.
By leaving out the SIM Card slot, Apple makes room for more amazing stuff in their phones.

Do you expect Apple to introduce this with the next gen iPhones?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
That would be good for some. But how would users who like to switch out the SIM card with 2 or more phones do that?

I think if they continue with this plan all they aim for will be customer binding.
Knowing Apple, they will come up with a solution though.
Like you could get a regular SIM Card from your carrier to use with other phones and all you have to do is enabling FlightMode on the iPhone.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm. I'd never heard about this but that'd be kinda slick. Wonder what could be done with the extra potential space from not needing a SIM slot.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It's been rumored for a few years now that Apple is working on an integrated SIM Card for in iPhones.
The idea behind it is that you no longer need a SIM Card from your carrier. Instead you just give them the information on your iPhone and they activate the phone on their side.
By leaving out the SIM Card slot, Apple makes room for more amazing stuff in their phones.

Can't they do this now with their SIM-free iPhone models?

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Can't they do this now with their SIM-free iPhone models?

I don't know the process of activating on CDMA networks, so I can't answer that question.

If your question was whether Apple can't already put more amazing stuff in CDMA phones, the answer will be no. It serves no purpose to put new features in the SIM-free phones if they can't provide the same feature with the other version.

mikezmac

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site

No

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Hmmm. Wonder what could be done with the extra potential space from not needing a SIM slot.

I was thinking the same thing. I found this secret patent from Apple. Not sure exactly what it does but looks really cool. Maybe they could include it on the next iPhone with the space they save from the SIM card being removed?
151130144358-apple-headphone-jack-780x439.png

Trending Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711