Biometrics - Iris scanning better than TouchID?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Think we will see some new biometrics built-in to upcoming iPhones? After taking in the S8 announcement a few weeks back, Samsung has a nifty feature built in to actually read your eyes - an iris scanner to be precise!

Would you like to see something like that in upcoming iPhones, or is TouchID enough to satisfy you?

iOS Gravity

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
If Apple does switch to opting for more screen space and putting Touch ID on the back of the phone, I'd love for it to be the Apple logo. Iris tech would be nice too. The Iris scanner on my Note7 last year was quick, accurate with its readings, and it worked in the dark with no lightning. Best of all, no one else can copy my iris since I don't touch everything with it as I do with my fingers. I could only assume that the sensor in the S8 would be quicker.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
If Apple decides to put more biometric scanners in their iPhone I sure hope they come up with something that rocks Samsung of their boat, so to speak.

Every tech Apple ever introduced in their phones has been of superb quality and ease of use and I expect them to continue to do so.

miketko

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Love the iris scanner on my. S8 plus but will never be as quick as finger print scanner on the front. Having both options is nice

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Iris scanner is nice, but a finger print is more practical and easier to use while moving around. Iris scanner can be more secure perhaps but not as mobile.

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
I dock my phone in the air vents of my car. Even if I had CarPlay I'd continue to do so. In that situation an iris scanner would be the most dangerous way of unlocking a phone.
So, no, thanks.

msm0511

Trusted Member
May 6, 2009
twitter.com
If Apple adds iris scanning to the next iPhone I hope it's better than Samsung's implementation. I seem to be in the minority of S8/S8+ users, but I'm not impressed by it. It needs to be faster and work as well as current FPS. With Apple's previous company purchases I'd expect a more secure facial recognition technology though.

erasat

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
I dock my phone in the air vents of my car. Even if I had CarPlay I'd continue to do so. In that situation an iris scanner would be the most dangerous way of unlocking a phone.
So, no, thanks.

For that you have Smart Lock where you set the phone to not lock when you are connected to your car's Bluetooth. Another cool feature Apple should add to their phones.

Nubwy

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
I'm not a huge fan of Iris scanning. For me it has rarely ever worked. On my S8+ it hasn't worked well at all. The only phone that it's worked somewhat on, was my Lumia 950.

brian_84

Nov 22, 2016
Visit site
The fingerprint scanner fails often enough to grind my gears so I'm not too sure about this. As an optional form of 2-factor authentication though? It could work.

eve6er69

Trusted Member
Jun 12, 2011
Visit site
Normally i would say no. But today my hands were wet and the finger print wouldn't work with a pruny finger tip. So yeah. That might be cool. Lol.

I don't know how much more accurate it would be but it would be nice to be able to unlock your phone without having to touch the home button.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
For me, I think having the PIN with the finger print scanner is enough. I've tried the Iris scanner and while it's definitely cool, I would 95% of the time just use the finger scanner. 😃 it's simple and quick and doesn't require me to hold my phone up and align it to my eyes.

Maybe Apple can introduce a new type of password that uses their 3D touch technology? So in different locations on the screen has different types of pressure to unlock? Might take longer but it's unique and could get people excited :)

kaktus1389

May 12, 2017
Visit site
Not exactly sure how would their iris scanner work, but I have Lumia 950 with an iris scanner and while it works well inside, even in the dark and with glasses on, it doesn't always work in the sunlight which will likely be the case with the most iris scanners out there. I prefer it over fingerprint reader because it just looks something futuristic as fingerprint scanners have been around for a while already (didn't say they are less efficient).

Good luck to Apple to make it better if they are to do it, but they're not going to be first to do it so I doubt it that they're even going to attempt to do that.

kjung7

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
I don't think the tech is mature enough for Apple to use it. They'll probably wait until iPhone 9 to implement that.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711