iPhone edge-to-edge display?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
With the S8 coming soon with it's 'infinity display' - you think Apple are going to blow our minds with some sort of curved/edge-to-edge display on the next iPhone?

Ecm

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
Considering the fact that Apple will likely be getting the displays from Samsung, it's entirely possible -- if Apple will spring for it.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Likely to happen given the rumors. If we don't see true edge-to-edge I'm sure we'll at least see smaller bezels.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
With the S8 coming soon with it's 'infinity display' - you think Apple are going to blow our minds with some sort of curved/edge-to-edge display on the next iPhone?

Maybe....but much of it depends on their continued vision of the iPhone. Sure Apple would like to the improve upon the iPhone while keeping it distinctly iPhone.

Brian Embry

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
I prefer some bezel. I like to protect my device.

I don't remember where I read this, may have been on Android Central after the introduction of the Google Pixel phones. One commentator talked about how they didn't mind the bezels. They helped him hold the phone while watching videos in landscape mode. Holding the bezels didn't cover up the screen. The Pixels have several "design cues" taken straight from the iPhone 6/7...

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Swapnil Vartak

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I don't remember where I read this, may have been on Android Central after the introduction of the Google Pixel phones. One commentator talked about how they didn't mind the bezels. They helped him hold the phone while watching videos in landscape mode. Holding the bezels didn't cover up the screen. The Pixels have several "design cues" taken straight from the iPhone 6/7...

Well the iPhone 6 has taken its design cues from HTC...

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
Well the iPhone 6 has taken its design cues from HTC...

They all take design queues from each other these days. There are only so many ways to skin a smartphone. Until someone invents a triangular phone they're all going to be shaped like chocolate bars with a camera in the back, a speaker and another camera at the top, and buttons/switches along the sides.

Brian Embry

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
They all take design queues from each other these days. There are only so many ways to skin a smartphone. Until someone invents a triangular phone they're all going to be shaped like chocolate bars with a camera in the back, a speaker and another camera at the top, and buttons/switches along the sides.

I totally agree. How many ways can you redesign a rectangle?

There are several industries that borrow from original creations. Movies are commonly ripped off...

badelhas

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I totally agree. How many ways can you redesign a rectangle?

There are several industries that borrow from original creations. Movies are commonly ripped off...

Yeah but Apple has the power to make the ordinary people believe they were the ones that invented the features that they copied from other manufacturers ;)

Cheers

Brian Embry

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
Apple has definitely created a culture. They are extremely good at marketing. Plus in the end they do make a good product. Love them or hate Apple, they make a good product have a good ecosystem.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm going to say YES to the dual curved edges on the side of the device. Similar to the Galaxy S7 Edge :)

I don't think Apple will go as far as Samsung and remove the home button. That's a distinct feature to Apple and I think they should keep it. I also have a feeling they will be jumping to OLED displays with upgraded resolutions :)

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

Yes I do. I've had a chance to experience the S8/S8+ and it does look good and fits well in the hand. I'm not sure how Apple will keep its iPhone distinctiveness, but I'm sure they will come up with something.

nucks26

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
It's possible, but I don't think it's likely. Apple never seems to do many major design overhauls, but 2017 might be the time to do it. I've heard chatter from folks being sick of this same design. However, others seem to just be happy with what works. I'd rather them decrease bezel size. I actually prefer flat displays to text on.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
It's possible, but I don't think it's likely. Apple never seems to do many major design overhauls, but 2017 might be the time to do it. I've heard chatter from folks being sick of this same design. However, others seem to just be happy with what works. I'd rather them decrease bezel size. I actually prefer flat displays to text on.

I'm definitely on the side of, it looks nice so why change it :) but I do understand people's irritation to the lack of a new design. When people upgrade their phone after 2 years, they don't want to purchase 'the same' thing. We want something NEW! :D

Rumours at this stage are always sketchy but the the most recent I've heard is 2 flat display with less bezels and then a anniversary iPhone with an OLED panel and dual curved edges.

That could potentially make everyone happy. Have the option of a flat screen or curves.

Nubwy

Apr 23, 2015
Visit site
I think Apple will make the bezels significantly smaller, but as to a curved screen, I don't think they will be that adventurous.

miketko

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if it will blow my mind but after using a s8 and s8 plus using phones either large bezels seems ridiculous. Thry Def need to cut them down

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Having a solid display in color, blacks, edge to edge and nearly full screen top and bottom is really what I want. If they can get to what Samsung has done with the 8/8+ it will be great. I would love to see an iphone between the 7/7plus sizes that has the 5.5" or bigger display and yet be smaller than a 7plus. Don't try and call it a 5.8 display when the only usable space is 5.1

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711