Samsung S8 vs Apple ?

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
With the release of the Samsung S8 and S8+ (sure I've heard that naming convention somewhere before) what will Apple need to do to push the bar higher.

I think the S8 is a very, very good device and will take some beating!

No doubt most on this forum will say that they won't be getting it and will stick with Apple.... that's not what this post is about.

I want to know what you all think Apple need to do to yet again make a device that raises the bar or changes the game?

I think if they can master embedded finger print sensors they'll do it.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
There are several things I'd like to see like much smaller bezels. But, I don't think Apple needs to do anything groundbreaking to be able to compete with the S8! I feel like the majority of the iPhone customer base will flock to the new iPhone because it's the new iPhone. Maybe I'm just speaking for myself.

Add some new awesome features that have previously not been offered in an iPhone and you're looking at record sales yet again!

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
There are several things I'd like to see like much smaller bezels. But, I don't think Apple needs to do anything groundbreaking to be able to compete with the S8! I feel like the majority of the iPhone customer base will flock to the new iPhone because it's the new iPhone. Maybe I'm just speaking for myself.

Add some new awesome features that have previously not been offered in an iPhone and you're looking at record sales yet again!

Amen to that.
I know I'll buy the 10th anniversary iPhone in a heartbeat.

Ziich47

May 6, 2015
Visit site
I for one will be getting the s8 (that is just because I am an ***** that likes shiny stuff) . I cant speak for everyone but for me there are a few things I need to the on the next iPhone .

Fast charging
Improved screen
Improved design
I mean the S8 has a freaking 5.8 inch screen in basically the size of the 4.7 iphone 7 (while retaining the headphone jack)

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
I think finally increasing the screen resolution and possibly switching to AMOLED... improving the camera and possibly deploying a dual lense camera with OIS on the smaller model phone as well, not just the Plus... reducing the size of bezels around the screen, and maybe wireless charging? Those, along with the next gen A11 chip with increased performance, and the new iPhone will be killer.

And yes, I'm aware most of those features already exist in Android devices. That doesn't mean they should never be implemented by Apple.

Swapnil Vartak

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Both the iPhone and S8 would be awesome devices..For me it would boil down to price. If there isn't too much of a difference, it will be an iPhone...

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2014
Visit site
I want Always On Display personally. I dont want to have to touch or interact with my phone to see when I've got notifications or want to quickly check the time. Samsung copied it from Nokia/Microsoft and managed to make it look awesome and I think Apple should do the same when they introduce Amoled screens. Fast/Wireless charging is a must now too I think. I do hope they keep the physical Home button too before people start saying they want an on screen button

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I personally don't think they need to do anything to compete with android phones. Apple has its own platform that has more than proven itself to work. Apple devices in my opinion are a better build quality than other marketed phones. The thing I'd like to see Apple do is be a little more reasonable with their price.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I personally don't think they need to do anything to compete with android phones. Apple has its own platform that has more than proven itself to work. Apple devices in my opinion are a better build quality than other marketed phones. The thing I'd like to see Apple do is be a little more reasonable with their price.

Oh man...reasonably priced iPhones would just be...

Derrick4Real

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
a little about me. I happily use an iphone 6. I'm not wedded to apple either. I use an air with both osx and windows in parrellels (though i only use windows for a few programs).

I want to know what you all think Apple need to do to yet again make a device that changes the game?
Personally, I don't know if the game can be changed. I think by and large we've seen what phones can do. I don't think there is a ton more new for it to do. Like laptops.

I want to know what you all think Apple need to do to yet again make a device that raises the bar?
As for raising the bar. I'd say beat the S8 spec wise in every way. Faster processor, better camera, better stabilazation, better price, edge to edge screen, better fingerprint placement, headphone jack, better battery life.

But it won't. It won't have a headphone jack. I'll be surprised if he camera is enough of an improvement for people that otherwise would have bought an S8 to go with an iPhone.

on a related point. I think there are several software related things that they could do but seem to just not want to do that could dramatically improve the user experience and be big selling points. One, fix itunes so it's not a bloated, often illogical app. It lacks folder monitoring something in winamp in 2000. it tells you cryptic messages like "doing x will delete all your files." It's generally a bad piece of software now that's just a apple music delivery system but used to be a decent phone manager and music library manager. Maybe multiple user accounts and stuff.

There's many ios things that make little sense to me. The camera app lacks features. Why do i have to leave the app and go into settings to change it to 4k recording? Or change the FPS? I'd go look at the features of the best podcast apps like downcast, all the customizability and i'd steal all of it. The custom skips, the detailed icloud settings, the power users interface that's about usability not eyecandy. How about expand imessage across all platforms. Open up air play and siri? Yeah those things won't happen. The things it needs to do I simply don't think Apple is interested in doing.

And just generally, as someone happily using a iphone 6, i can say there is next to nothing being added to phones that makes me feel like i need buy a new phone. the camera on the S8 i'd love cause i take pictures with my phone but short of putting a camera it that has the features of say a sony a6000 what they have is good enough for casual shooting.

Derrick4Real

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
If only iMessage was on android. To valuable for me to leave it. 90% of the people I talk to use it.
May I ask do you live outside of the U.S.? I live in the U.S., imessage is turned on I don't know anybody that doesn't have unlimited text so i've never ever had anyone even ask me what messaging i'm using. I type a name and hit send. whether it's sms or imessage i don't pay attention to. And maybe in other places I'm thinking they plans don't come with unlimited texting or your texting out of your country and maybe imessage is a free way to do that?

Chemy JMHT

VR ******
Sep 9, 2016
Visit site
I think it's comparing Apples and oranges, Samsung and Apple are doing different things so who likes those different things should select the phone that suits best and that's it.

I like a lot of things Samsung has in it new device, but Samsung for me is a brand for someone who can change phone each year and I'm not one of those.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
I had Android and Samsung for years. Then the issue with the Note 7 and keeping in the Note series I got the Note 5. Ended up not liking and the battery life was horrible after the update. What bugs me the most about Android are the updates and how each one would just make the battery life horrible. You have to do a factory reset to make the phone perform better after an update. How is this good? I am so tired of doing this and doing that and oh. How about trying this? Enough. I am pleased with Apple and it just works. I had a network issue..believe it to be network and am still having it checked out. But am not regretting changing to Apple.

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Some really interesting thoughts here.

I disagree that Apple with the idea that Apple with automatically have the best 2017/18 device just because they are Apple.
If they just release the 7S with internal changes compared to the S8 which is worlds apart from the S6 and 7 Apple will lose those who are on the fence.

Most here will be Apple fans and rooted in the eco systems with more than just an iPhone but imo Apple doesn't need to worry about us. It's those who just have a phone and aren't rooted so can easily switch to Android.

My partner for example currently has the S6 and says if the new iPhone doesn't have fast charging she's getting the S8 despite the fact our house is geared up for iOS with Apple TVs, iPads and Macs.

One feature could be the difference between attracting those on the fence or not

badelhas

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I for one will be getting the s8 (that is just because I am an ***** that likes shiny stuff) . I cant speak for everyone but for me there are a few things I need to the on the next iPhone .

Fast charging
Improved screen
Improved design
I mean the S8 has a freaking 5.8 inch screen in basically the size of the 4.7 iphone 7 (while retaining the headphone jack)

I agree with everything you said. And those bezels have to go!

Cheers

AugustVance

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
May I ask do you live outside of the U.S.? I live in the U.S., imessage is turned on I don't know anybody that doesn't have unlimited text so i've never ever had anyone even ask me what messaging i'm using. I type a name and hit send. whether it's sms or imessage i don't pay attention to. And maybe in other places I'm thinking they plans don't come with unlimited texting or your texting out of your country and maybe imessage is a free way to do that?

No, I happily live in the US. SMS/mms is fine expect when you want to send pics/videos. Then it becomes atrocious. Also, with iOS 10 and all the new benefits and attractions of iMessage it made it even more invaluable to leave.

AugustVance

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It would be nice but in the UK most people have unlimited texts even on basic plans.
However, sending video and pics is expensive

I as well have unlimited text in the US. However, SMS/MMS isn't the best. iMessage rules in those areas, along with all the nice additions to it in iOS 10.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234