Samsung S8 vs Apple ?

Ziich47

May 6, 2015
Visit site
I agree with everything you said. And those bezels have to go!

Cheers

Yeah I kinda implied that in improved screen and design. Samsung may have gone a bit overboard. While 18 by 9 screens are smaller than their 16 by 9 counterparts, a full in increase in the diagonal screen might be too much. If they can get oh I dunno let's say the 7 plus screen in a 7's body then I would be satisfied

Derrick4Real

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
No, I happily live in the US. SMS/mms is fine expect when you want to send pics/videos. Then it becomes atrocious. Also, with iOS 10 and all the new benefits and attractions of iMessage it made it even more invaluable to leave.

I see. Do you keep a mental note of what phones all your contacts have because I pretty much only know the type of phone of 4 people, 2 parents and my best friend? Plus only one, my mom, is an iphone. All the others i've no idea of phone type and because of that i just enter their name and hit send with trying to pick a messaging system according to their phone.

What are the "benefits of ios 10?" Can you send better video? I have ios 10 and tried to send a 2 minute video filmed on my iphone and couldn't the other day. But the person i was sending it two was my best friend on an android phone so imessage wasn't even an option. Which again illustrates my indifference to it.

Derrick4Real

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Most here will be Apple fans and rooted in the eco systems with more than just an iPhone but imo Apple doesn't need to worry about us. It's those who just have a phone and aren't rooted so can easily switch to Android.

One feature could be the difference between attracting those on the fence or not

That's totally me. I have an iphone 6. Not a 6+ or a 7. I don't need a to buy the latest apple thing. Before that i had a 4s so i've stayed with apple for two phones. But i'm not religious about Apple. I only have a macbook air just bought last summer. I like it but I have no interest in the macbook. After about 18 years of PC (before that all macs fyi). I don't buy media from itunes. I don't need apple music. I don't pay for icloud storage. I have a fire tv and a roku.

When i was deciding to get my iphone 6 i actually listed every app on my 4s to see if there was an android equivalent. The only missing app was Downcast the podcast app. And i'm sure there's a comparable podcast app on android not to mention, Downcast seems to have been abandoned by the author without an update in like 7 months and the app with lots of problems. But i digress. Point I'm the sort or person that uses an iphone but could easily leave as i'm not stuck in the apple ecosystem in any way. I've only ever bought 3 apps. One of which is Cesium (Cesium Music Player) bought specifically because I hate what Apple did to the music app. That's quite telling. The only app i bought is because i had a problem with the direction Apple has gone.

I still use my headphone jack. You mention "one feature could be the difference." That could be it. I mean i use my phone as my only stereo in my car by way of an auxiliary input. No bluetooth. I'm not buying a new car in the next 5 years. So no headphone jack is a big annoyance. I also have other headphones that i still use like larger cans that are wired. I'd rather have both a jack and bluetooth.

Cost is an issue too with carriers not subsidizing phones. As someone that doesn't change phones often the subsidy matter since i never changed phones. if an iphone comes out at $800+ and some android phone does what i need at say $400 truth is it's almost a no brainer for me. That's why Google going all uber expensive with the Pixel now sucks. The nexus was a cheap option I'd have entirely gone for. Now it might be a wash.

The people that are on these forums are probably safe customers for Apple. It's the people in between that are going to be tough. I only ever leaned towards Apple because i used an iPod and why not carry one device over an ipod and phone. Truth is that's far less of a slam dunk now. No headphone jack. The ipod app i don't even use because it's quite cluttered and mostly pretty eye candy now. Now i'm pretty much open to be sold any platform. I'm still on iphone 6 though pretty happily though so though I'm able to be persuaded I still am a current apple user until i need a new phone. Hopefully not soon. Recently replaced the battery so hopefully it lasts.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Not interested in the S8. At least the S7 let you decide between a normal screen or their "Edge" curved screen stuff. Now, the choice is made for you.

Also don't care for the off-center fingerprint reader right next to the camera. High and off center, probably not ideal for both right or left handed use. Seems like an afterthought, like they ran out of time trying to imbed the scanner under the screen along with the home button. Camera is just a carry over. Probably leftover Note 7 units. Battery is pretty small, considering the processor, and size and resolution of the display it's powering. And I have less than zero interest in Samsung's own versions of software we can already get from Google. Why would I want Bixby over Google Assistant? Or Samsung Pay over Wallet?

No thanks. I think the LG G6 is much more attractive, physically and features wise.

Lee_Bo

Apr 6, 2016
Visit site
I came from years of using Google/Nexus phones. As long as Apple's devices continue to work without me having to tinker or reboot daily, I'll keep using them.

As for the home button, the Nexus devices didn't have them, so if Apple decided to remove them, that would be ok with me. If it never goes away, that's ok too.

As for no headphone jack on the 7 Plus, I'm a 100% bluetooth user anyway so that matters not.

Ziich47

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Not interested in the S8. At least the S7 let you decide between a normal screen or their "Edge" curved screen stuff. Now, the choice is made for you.

Also don't care for the off-center fingerprint reader right next to the camera. High and off center, probably not ideal for both right or left handed use. Seems like an afterthought, like they ran out of time trying to imbed the scanner under the screen along with the home button. Camera is just a carry over. Probably leftover Note 7 units. Battery is pretty small, considering the processor, and size and resolution of the display it's powering. And I have less than zero interest in Samsung's own versions of software we can already get from Google. Why would I want Bixby over Google Assistant? Or Samsung Pay over Wallet?

No thanks. I think the LG G6 is much more attractive, physically and features wise.

While most of your points are valid There are two things I would like to correct..
1. The camera sensor on the s8 is actually different from the one found on the Note 7 (imx 330 vs the imx 260)

2. Samsung Pay is more capable than either the Apple Pay or Android Pay in that it is able to interface with terminals that only accept magnetic strip cards (which is still a majority of stores)

AugustVance

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I see. Do you keep a mental note of what phones all your contacts have because I pretty much only know the type of phone of 4 people, 2 parents and my best friend? Plus only one, my mom, is an iphone. All the others i've no idea of phone type and because of that i just enter their name and hit send with trying to pick a messaging system according to their phone.

What are the "benefits of ios 10?" Can you send better video? I have ios 10 and tried to send a 2 minute video filmed on my iphone and couldn't the other day. But the person i was sending it two was my best friend on an android phone so imessage wasn't even an option. Which again illustrates my indifference to it.

I wouldn't say I remember phones, but I do have the capacity to remember who does/doesn't have an iOS device. I don't talk to everyone in my contact list daily.

I would say, everything that was added to messages in iOS 10 would be a benefit. Stickers, apps, one could say even the games. But it's takes someone to actually use the services to say they are good.

However, yes to the video question. Sending/receiving video through iMessage yields way better quality than through mms. That's proven knowledge.

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
While most of your points are valid There are two things I would like to correct..
1. The camera sensor on the s8 is actually different from the one found on the Note 7 (imx 330 vs the imx 260)

Is that official? I thought it was rumored to be a 333, but no official word yet.

2. Samsung Pay is more capable than either the Apple Pay or Android Pay in that it is able to interface with terminals that only accept magnetic strip cards (which is still a majority of stores)

That little bit of added capability is not enough for me to trust Samsung with my financials, over Google or Apple. Google Wallet works at most establishments I frequent, as does Apple Pay. Samsung Pay might be a draw for some. But not for me.

Ziich47

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Is that official? I thought it was rumored to be a 333, but no official word yet.

That little bit of added capability is not enough for me to trust Samsung with my financials, over Google or Apple. Google Wallet works at most establishments I frequent, as does Apple Pay. Samsung Pay might be a draw for some. But not for me.

Concerning the camera? Yes, Erica Griffin's Video on the device confirms this.

Concerning samsung pay, I respect your preferences, I was simply pointing out the difference btw them.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Jan 15, 2017
Visit site
Having been Android and Samsung 12 yrs switching to Apple was a breath of fresh air. And having visited an Apple Store for the first time today seeing firsthand the great customer care I am still happy. It's all about personal preference. There are diehard Samsung customers and they will defend to the very core. Same with Apple. Both platforms have great devices to offer their customers
But with the negative experience I had recently am still glad I switched to Apple. Two family members made the move. A third might be happening. I need dependability and SECURUTY. I know I have it in Apple

Brian Embry

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
I use a Nexus 6. I love Samsung's build quality and feel of their phones but, I don't like their UI. I am seriously considering the new iPhone. In speed test after speed test, the iPhone with the integration of hardware and software beats the Samsungs continually. Would love to get a Pixel XL but, they seem to be almost nonexistent. So as I am open minded about tech, I will take a close and hard look at the new iPhone. I do love the MacBook that I use and the synergy of the Apple ecosystem would more than likely make life and work a little easier on me...

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Derrick4Real

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't say I remember phones, but I do have the capacity to remember who does/doesn't have an iOS device. I don't talk to everyone in my contact list daily.

I would say, everything that was added to messages in iOS 10 would be a benefit. Stickers, apps, one could say even the games. But it's takes someone to actually use the services to say they are good.

However, yes to the video question. Sending/receiving video through iMessage yields way better quality than through mms. That's proven knowledge.

oh i'm sure you are capable of remembering all the devices. Me? shoot, i only end up texting a few people in my contact list anyways. And only two regularly and he doesn't have an iphone. I only know because he discusses tech with me and two, he is not a fan of iphones or generally apple things so i know. My mother I know her phone because i bought it for her. Other than that I'm just happy to not have to think about that level of detail.

I'll be honesty i didn't know about the apps and games in messaging. I don't even really know how that works but i'll certainly google it just to see what it's all about. I think i know about stickers but it's not something i think i would use.

dov1978

Trusted Member
Oct 22, 2014
Visit site

Maybe in the US but here in the UK and most of Europe (possibly the world) Chip and pin made the magnetic strip obsolete and nowhere uses that outdated system anymore so Samsung Pay offers nothing better than Apple Pay or Android Pay.

badelhas

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I hope each company learns from one another to make betters smartphones. Any of them is a great device, with it´s own advantages...

Cheers

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
I want to know what you all think Apple need to do to yet again make a device that raises the bar or changes the game?

The first thing could be battery life. This is still a very key spec in smartphones today and people scrutinise that mAh size in phones. Especially when they are talking about QHD+ displays and 6.2" inches. So if Apple were able to make their 4.7" size last as long as the Plus Model, thats would be a great feature for me.

The second would be increased resolution. Make the 4.7" inch have a 1080p screen. I know Apple like their 326 PPI but with VR slowly becoming more popular. A higher res screen would be pretty awesome. 1440p on the Plus model. Additionally, OLED please Apple :D

Slimmer Bezels. At least on the Plus model. The device is pretty big and i think it would appeal to more people if it was easier to hold in the hand :)

T48

Jul 2, 2015
Visit site

Also don't care for the off-center fingerprint reader right next to the camera. High and off center, probably not ideal for both right or left handed use. Seems like an afterthought, like they ran out of time trying to imbed the scanner under the screen along with the home button.

Why would I want Bixby over Google Assistant?

Synaptics is the co that Samsung dumped cash in to imbed the fps under the screen. So yes, am guessing when that was not ready for mass market, the fps had to be moved around back. Maybe the tech will be ready for the Note 8 is release? That said, cannot imagine Apple taking a big risk on their anniversary device this fall & their oled screens are already ordered from Samsung. So they too may have to put the fps elsewhere.

Also from what I can gather, Bixby will do different things than Google Assistant as well as be implemented across their entire line of electronics from phones, tv's, fridges etc. Samsung purchased Viv labs last fall & Viv labs are the creators of Siri. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viv_(software)

jmr1015

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
Synaptics is the co that Samsung dumped cash in to imbed the fps under the screen. So yes, am guessing when that was not ready for mass market, the fps had to be moved around back. Maybe the tech will be ready for the Note 8 is release? That said, cannot imagine Apple taking a big risk on their anniversary device this fall & their oled screens are already ordered from Samsung. So they too may have to put the fps elsewhere.

Also from what I can gather, Bixby will do different things than Google Assistant as well as be implemented across their entire line of electronics from phones, tv's, fridges etc. Samsung purchased Viv labs last fall & Viv labs are the creators of Siri. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viv_(software)

Neither of those explanations make me want those features any more. I'd imagine if Apple can't integrate the FPS under a display (if that is their intention) then they would stick with its current location, in the home button. I don't see Apple slapping it off center next to the camera.

As for Bixby, regardless of what they have it tied in to (I currently own zero Samsung devices) I personally don't need another option in personal assistants. If I go Android, Google Assistant is great. If I go Apple, Siri is great. Nothing draws me to Bixby over Google assistant whatsoever. I'm also not drawn to iOS for Siri, Siri just happens to come with iOS... so Bixby being made by Viv means little to me.

I'm not saying the S8 is a terrible device for everyone. But for me personally, is does little to draw my interest, and actually has some features I straight up don't like. I'd go LG G6 if I was in the market for a new Android flagship this year.

Last edited:

badelhas

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Neither of those explanations make me want those features any more. I'd imagine if Apple can't integrate the FPS under a display (if that is their intention) then they would stick with its current location, in the home button. I don't see Apple slapping it off center next to the camera.

As for Bixby, regardless of what they have it tied in to (I currently own zero Samsung devices) I personally don't need another option in personal assistants. If I go Android, Google Assistant is great. If I go Apple, Siri is great. Nothing draws me to Bixby over Google assistant whatsoever. I'm also not drawn to iOS for Siri, Siri just happens to come with iOS... so Bixby being made by Viv means little to me.

I'm not saying the S8 is a terrible device for everyone. But for me personally, is does little to draw my interest, and actually has some features I straight up don't like. If go G6 if I was in the market for a new Android flagship this year.
I have to agree on that. The fingerprint position is ridiculous. But Apple can learn a thing or two with Samsung great screens.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234