Is Apple going to switch to USB-C on the iPhone 8?

James Falconer

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Was reading this article from Rene a little while ago. Interesting indeed. What do you think is going to happen? Will Apple run USB-C on the iPhone 8, or stick with Lightning? What would YOU prefer to see?

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I think with the release of two new premier headphones switching to USB-C now would be an issue. I don't ever mind a new connector and I was not one of the haters when they moved from the 30pin to Lighting connector, but if the new phone needs USB-C and the headphones I use with it still need lighting there will be a lot of people upset. I think if the new iPhone uses USB-C and they include a pair of USB-C AirPods in the box I would be ok with that. Then I wouldn't need to carry two cables all the time to charge my phone and headphones.

Just my opinion of course ??????

Tartarus

Ambassador
Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
Apple would not be Apple if they went with mainstream connectors for their iPhones and iPads.
With over 5 official Lightning cables at home, I would be very disappointed if I had to replace them with USB-C cables.

Plus: the Lightning connector is still not fully utilizing its full capabilities, thus its not yet due for a change, unlike the 30-pin connector back when they were replaced.

mumfoau

Ambassador
Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
You had 3G, 3GS, 4/4S then the switch to lightning. We've now had 5/5S, 6/6S and now 7. Might be due for a change.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
It's too soon, in my opinion. I'd wait another year, if I were Apple, and I'd introduce it with an S model iPhone.

anon(9602380)

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
I wouldn't mind as long as Apple supplies more than one cable. Apple is making some real money from selling cables alone. I have to always buy more so that I don't have to carry them with me all the time. I would be surprised though considering how fast syncing and downloads are with the lightning cable.

mogelijk

iPad Champion
Champion
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
My personal guess is that the iPhone will retain the Lightning connector. I believe they'll keep it because of how much thinner the Lightning connector is than a USB-C port. Having said that, I suspect the charger end of the cable will be switched to USB-C starting with the next generation of iPhones.

bamf-hacker

Apple Watch and AirPod Champion, Ambassador
Champion
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Also think of all the other things Apple uses lightning on. The magic mouse and keyboard, the new headphones, lots of things. At least with the 30 pin it was just devices.

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Was reading this article from Rene a little while ago. Interesting indeed. What do you think is going to happen? Will Apple run USB-C on the iPhone 8, or stick with Lightning? What would YOU prefer to see?

Great question James! :)

As we saw on the new Macbook Pros, Apple was happy to drop their MagSafe charging port which was one of my favourite ports in favour of the 'new standard' USB-C Port. Taking that into consideration i don't think dropping the Lightning port is out of the question.

I personally would like to see Apple use USB-C on their next iPhone. It just makes charging easier when all you need is one cable for all devices :)

At the moment Apple is a little disjointed with ports and would be nice to see everything streamlined. Anyone else agree? :)

Last edited:

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
I think it is too soon. Too many things I have use the Lightning Port. The Lightning Port hasn't reached it's end of life yet. Far from it.

Ziich47

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Lightning 2.0 to USB type c cable provided in the box, now USB power delivery, hence fast charging and faster transfer speeds

blaine07

Case & Accessory Champion
Champion
Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
I highly doubt it as well. Switching to USB-C is going to cause chaos for the mobile phones. It's going to be a big challenge to re educate customers that don't know anything but lightning

therealmatt84

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Personally I would love the switch to usb-c. It would align very well with their new MacBook Pro's. I don't know if it's possible but ideally if they could make it a lightning/usb-c port.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm torn by the possibility. While a standardized port would be great I already own dozens (yes, dozens) of lightning cables and literally zero USB-C cables. Even more, I'll still own several lightning devices so I'll still need to keep lightning cables around.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Erik4711