iPhone Touch Bar

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
I saw a video earlier today which showed that the rumoured iPhone 8/X/7s will remove the home button.
This rumour is on loads of sites including our beloved iMore.

However, this video showed it was replaced with a Touch Bar like the latest MacBooks.
This allows you not only to return to the home screen but do other things scroll through video, adjust volume or us shortcuts.

Video linked and specifically at 27seconds in.
https://youtu.be/YOvfh3tbK-U

Personally I think this would be great. What are your thoughts?

anon(4697585)

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Why would they remove it when they just upgraded it for the 7?

Many reasons but Apple, like most tech innovators, will be working on several prototypes at a time.
If I had to guess I'd say that Apple decided that the haptic feedback button was perfected and ready for the public whilst the Touch Bar was not.

If it's now ready and it's part of the road map Apple has set then why wouldn't they release it? Especially given that this year is the 10th anniversary I'd say it makes sense.

Test the water with a new button and see if the idea takes off

anon(27512)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I saw a video earlier today which showed that the rumoured iPhone 8/X/7s will remove the home button.
This rumour is on loads of sites including our beloved iMore.

However, this video showed it was replaced with a Touch Bar like the latest MacBooks.
This allows you not only to return to the home screen but do other things scroll through video, adjust volume or us shortcuts.

Video linked and specifically at 27seconds in.
https://youtu.be/YOvfh3tbK-U

Personally I think this would be great. What are your thoughts?

That mock-up was dope. It's the first mockup I've seen that I've liked. I'd buy that. Day one.

Swapnil Vartak

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
Touch bar on an iPhone? I don't know how useful that would be. It works on a Macbook as that is a non touch device. With a new iPhone,the whole screen is touch enabled. Besides a separate screen would reduce the real estate of the main screen..

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Touch bar on an iPhone? I don't know how useful that would be. It works on a Macbook as that is a non touch device. With a new iPhone,the whole screen is touch enabled. Besides a separate screen would reduce the real estate of the main screen..

This is what I was thinking. It's cool and definitely possible considering rumors mention losing the physical home button. Looking forward to the announcement and release when it's time!

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
The entire screen is essentially a touch bar in itself. No reason that I can think of to have two separate capacitive displays on one iPhone.

Brian Embry

Oct 26, 2015
Visit site
There are a couple of Android phones with a smaller secondary ticker screen. LG V30 and HTC U Ultra are the ones that come to mind. Not sure how functional they are. Thin line at times between function and gimmick. I've watched YouTube videos on these two phones. The second screen just doesn't appeal to me personally but, to each his own. So since a touch screen is basically a large touch bar, does the iPhone really need one?

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site
There are a couple of Android phones with a smaller secondary ticker screen. LG V30 and HTC U Ultra are the ones that come to mind. Not sure how functional they are. Thin line at times between function and gimmick. I've watched YouTube videos on these two phones. The second screen just doesn't appeal to me personally but, to each his own. So since a touch screen is basically a large touch bar, does the iPhone really need one?

Posted via the iMore App for Android

Seems more on the gimmicky side to me. I wouldn't mind a "touch bar" so much if it were built into the main display and appeared when needed but then it could also disappear when needed and just be part of the main display. No reason that I can think of to have two separate display panels when it seems like it could be accomplished just as well with software.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Seems more on the gimmicky side to me. I wouldn't mind a "touch bar" so much if it were built into the main display and appeared when needed but then it could also disappear when needed and just be part of the main display. No reason that I can think of to have two separate display panels when it seems like it could be accomplished just as well with software.

Yeah. Just extend the screen all the way down and part of it has "buttons" on it for whatever app is up

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Does it look great? Absolutely :) Will Apple do it? Hmm, I don't think so. They have put a lot of work into making the touch ID home button fantastic. But it's possible and if they do. I'm going to without a doubt purchase 2! :D

Raptor007

Trusted Member
Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
The touch bar would be a great idea for the iphone. When you open it could be your selected apps, but once you open an app the developers could offer functions at the bottom of the screen with a designated spot for the home button or make the home button a physical button the side that you press to go home. Then the main apps appear.