Is Apple skipping the iPhone 7S?

Ariel Babalao

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Re: Is apple skipping the 7s

Hum... No one can tell for sure until next year when Apple will reveal it during their annual stage presentation. It could be called iPhone 7s or 8, or even something completely new to emphasis with their 10 year anniversary.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

We didn't even know for sure the iPhone 7 was called the iPhone 7 until Tim Cook announced it on stage. We'll know in about 11 months.

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

I'd only be a bit surprised if they released a "budget" 7s alongside whatever they're going to call the 10th anniversary model. On the other hand, I'd bet they would want everyone on the 10th anniversary model so the 7s models would be scrapped.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site

No idea. I don't care what they call it. I'm just looking forward to what they're bringing to market for this big milestone.

benwu

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site

I'd be surprised if they'd release a change in the form factor and didn't skip the 7s. Though I guess if the rumors of three new models was true maybe they'd do 7s, 7s+ and something else?

golfinggod

Nov 26, 2016
Visit site

There were rumours a few years ago about Apple doing away with the numbers altogether (which surely they'll have to do eventually? iPhone 14 anyone? Meh, who knows). I think it makes too much sense financially for them to remove the S line though.

Rob Phillips

iPhone X & Apple TV Champion, Moderator
Champion
May 1, 2012
Visit site

There were rumours a few years ago about Apple doing away with the numbers altogether (which surely they'll have to do eventually? iPhone 14 anyone? Meh, who knows). I think it makes too much sense financially for them to remove the S line though.

Exactly this. I can definitely see Apple simply calling it "iPhone".

Vegard Svendsen

Oct 16, 2013
Visit site
The name is really tough for this one, since the S models usually are just refinments on the "main" models. My guess would be iPhone 8 or just iPhone, but who knows. I am not sure if the common consumer even cares about the name, to them it might just be "the new iPhone" and maybe that's all that matters

Remington Steel

Dec 12, 2016
Visit site
The name is really tough for this one, since the S models usually are just refinments on the "main" models. My guess would be iPhone 8 or just iPhone, but who knows. I am not sure if the common consumer even cares about the name, to them it might just be "the new iPhone" and maybe that's all that matters

Kinda like when a new Star Wars movie comes out, no matter the title, everyone simply calls it "Star Wars".

Matty

Trusted Member
May 24, 2014
Visit site
Everyone keeps talking about the iPhone 8 in 2017, is apple skipping the 7s or something

There were rumours last year that Apple would call the current iPhone 7 the iPhone 6ss simply because there was no new design change and Apple normally have a new design every time they increase the number from say 6 to 7.

So based on that and the history of iPhone naming, i wold presume the new iPhone coming later this year will be called the iPhone 7s. No reason to change the naming scheme at this point (in my opinion)

We might get a iPhone 7s, 7s Plus and 7s Pro (OLED Screen) but don't think we getting the rumoured iPhone 8 just yet. If you start changing up names, it might confuse some customers.