Matte Black Owners - how's the finish holding up?

pkcable

Q&A Team Leader, VR Expert
Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Launch day buyer here! Mine is holding up fine! And it looks fantastic in its snazzy new "retro" case...

IMG_20170428_172121.jpg

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Well, my matte black iPhone 7 arrived today and it's in great condition! There are a couple of tiny spots/scratches on the back, but it's hardly noticeable. Very nice device, although I'm sure I'm going to miss the rose gold of my iPhone 6s once I officially switch (my SIM card is currently in my 6s). I love the matte black, though; it's very elegant!

Eclipse2K

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
Well, my matte black iPhone 7 arrived today and it's in great condition! There are a couple of tiny spots/scratches on the back, but it's hardly noticeable. Very nice device, although I'm sure I'm going to miss the rose gold of my iPhone 6s once I officially switch (my SIM card is currently in my 6s). I love the matte black, though; it's very elegant!

Did you buy it used? A new device shouldn't have any scratches.

timocrates

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site
... my iPhone 6s once I officially switch it'

If I might interject a question? I wonder about switching SIMs. I just do it myself, like when a phone crashes, and sail right along with another GSM model. However, carriers want to charge for that switch, right? So can AT&T tell if I'm running an SE and then a 7?

Eclipse2K

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
If I might interject a question? I wonder about switching SIMs. I just do it myself, like when a phone crashes, and sail right along with another GSM model. However, carriers want to charge for that switch, right? So can AT&T tell if I'm running an SE and then a 7?

Depending on the carrier they may want to charge for a SIM but Verizon has never done this to me. I am not sure about AT&T charging for new SIMS but what I do know is you can switch to a new phone so long as the same size SIM is used for both phones.

GGIBS

Jan 19, 2015
Visit site
For all the matte black owners out there... is the finish holding up nicely on your phone? I don't have one, but have wondered how that finish would hold over time...

The finish is holding up quite well on my iPhone 7 Plus. I do keep a thin case on it but I have no blemishes so far.

Tobyn Ryell

May 12, 2017
Visit site
I've got a 7 in matte black and I've had a spigen case on it since the day I've had it. now it's got loads of small dots on the back, I've tried everything to get them off but they don't come off and my phone looks dreadful now I can't take it out of its case. And it's a real shame because when I first got it when it launched it was a beautiful phone.

cwbcpa

Trusted Member
Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I've got a 7 in matte black and I've had a spigen case on it since the day I've had it. now it's got loads of small dots on the back, I've tried everything to get them off but they don't come off and my phone looks dreadful now I can't take it out of its case. And it's a real shame because when I first got it when it launched it was a beautiful phone.

When you say small dots, do you mean small nicks or do you mean it looks like it has the pattern from the inside of the case? I ask because my UAG case leaves a pattern on the back of my 7 Plus, but I wipe it with a damp cloth and it's as good as new.

kjung7

Feb 3, 2014
Visit site
Even with a case you need to take the phone out regularly to clean out the dust in between the phone and the case. If you don't you'll get scratches over time from the case and the phone rubbing against each other.

timocrates

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site
How does one get on such a list?

In 2015 I was somehow offered the opportunity of using a Galaxy or Note for a month, then sending it back, which I did. I would've kept it, truth be told.

They offered me through email this opportunity of being thoroughly monitored for a month, at the end of which the phone was mine. I think I blew the survey; not a rich man, nor a young one, and not one who buys lots of digital merchandise.

I should know better than to tell the truth.