Apps Not Background Refreshing- Extremely Frustrated Please Help!

kixazz

Apr 24, 2017
Visit site
Hello,

I made the conversion a few months back from Android to Apple and have been very happy so far. However over the past 2 weeks (potentially since I upgraded to iOS 10.3.1) some of my apps do not refresh in the background, I need to open them and force refresh to get them to refresh.

The main app that is at issue is Inbox by Google which is critical for me as I do not get any notifications for email at the moment, I need to refresh the app to get the updated email. I prefer Inbox to the apple mail client, and I use the apple mail client for my work email so I do not want to use the Mail client as a fix, I want to get Inbox to work again.

What I have noticed. Deleting the app and re-installing it fixes the fact that it is not refreshing in the background. However after some period of time (potentially when the battery gets low and I enter power saver mode) the app stops refreshing in the background. I am not certain it is that which triggers it to stop refreshing, but something does. Even when charged back to 100%, power saver mode off, and Inbox set to refresh in the background it does not (unless I delete and re-install the app).

That is a very painful fix to have to consistently delete and reinstall the app to get the app to refresh in the background and display notifications.

Can anyone please help me with this issue? I am extremely frustrated by this.

Thank you in advance!

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
What you refer to is not Background App Refresh. Your email client does not push it appears. See if there's anywhere in settings to set either push or fetch for the app.

kixazz

Apr 24, 2017
Visit site
What you refer to is not Background App Refresh. Your email client does not push it appears. See if there's anywhere in settings to set either push or fetch for the app.

I don't see anything in settings. If I delete and re-install it works correctly for a period of time. It will push and I get notifications from the app.

kixazz

Apr 24, 2017
Visit site
When you open the app, are the emails there?

I deleted and reinstalled the app tonight so I immediately received an email notice from your response above and it showed up in the notification center. When I opened the notification and navigated to the app it was there already

However before I deleted and reinstalled the app that would not be the case. I would have to open the app to get it to refresh. No notifications either.

So deleting and reinstalling fixes the issue but only temporarily

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
I deleted and reinstalled the app tonight so I immediately received an email notice from your response above and it showed up in the notification center. When I opened the notification and navigated to the app it was there already

However before I deleted and reinstalled the app that would not be the case. I would have to open the app to get it to refresh. No notifications either.

So deleting and reinstalling fixes the issue but only temporarily

Hope it stays that way.

njlx2016

Jun 2, 2015
Visit site
I use Inbox by Gmail on my iPhone on a regular basis and I think this is by design. When you get a notification for a new email, your phone doesn't download the message until you open the app. The data sent with the notification is just a notification with a snippet of the email, not the email message itself. Inbox may periodically download messages in the background but to save battery it probably won't download a message every single time one comes in.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janikhan1234