Installed my first tempered glass

grover5

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the video Ralph. I've enjoyed your posts on crackberry as well. Don't worry about the guy giving you a hard time. Life's too short.

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
I had the same 9H for a year and a half, in the past and only replaced it because it chipped.

Whoa! Ok it sounds like the durability shouldn't be a problem, especially since I am not rough with any of my devices or anything but just taking preventative measures JIC.

Appreciate the feedback.

BlackBerry Guy

Trusted Member
Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I found the best way to avoid dust on the screen is to install in a steamy room (like the bathroom after you shower). It helps minimize dust floating around in the air. Use a can of compressed air and some scotch tape to blow away or pick up any dust that might be on the screen just before putting the glass on.

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
I found the best way to avoid dust on the screen is to install in a steamy room (like the bathroom after you shower). It helps minimize dust floating around in the air. Use a can of compressed air and some scotch tape to blow away or pick up any dust that might be on the screen just before putting the glass on.

Interesting, and true about the tape because if you saw my newer video above, (the gold tempered glass I bought) I found out that was what the blue sticker is for.

Eclipse2K

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
I can't see the images due to the iOS 10.3 limitation but I wanted to give my input for those that are looking for more opinions. Basically, throughout Android and Apple products, I've used a few brands of Tempered Glass. Overall, the cheaper brands I've used couldn't compare to the more expensive. I don't remember every brand but from what I do recall:

Pleson, which is cheap, is a get what you pay for type of deal. I have never had a protector chip before but this one did without a single drop or bang within 2 weeks of ownership.

Verizon branded Glass was decent and higher quality but still not the best. Attracted finger prints and in my opinion felt a bit less slick than more expensive brands.

Zagg Glass, MIME and Belkin feel the best hands down. In terms of feel they're equal. But since Apple is able to install the Belkin with a machine so it applies perfectly every time, I went that route. I will never go cheap on the Glass but that's just me. I have had my Belkin on since December and there isn't a scratch or chip on it. I expect micro scratches over time but it's holding up well and I don't see any even in LED lighting. I guess I'm lucky so far.

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
I can't see the images due to the iOS 10.3 limitation but I wanted to give my input for those that are looking for more opinions. Basically, throughout Android and Apple products, I've used a few brands of Tempered Glass. Overall, the cheaper brands I've used couldn't compare to the more expensive. I don't remember every brand but from what I do recall:

Pleson, which is cheap, is a get what you pay for type of deal. I have never had a protector chip before but this one did without a single drop or bang within 2 weeks of ownership.

Verizon branded Glass was decent and higher quality but still not the best. Attracted finger prints and in my opinion felt a bit less slick than more expensive brands.

Zagg Glass, MIME and Belkin feel the best hands down. In terms of feel they're equal. But since Apple is able to install the Belkin with a machine so it applies perfectly every time, I went that route. I will never go cheap on the Glass but that's just me. I have had my Belkin on since December and there isn't a scratch or chip on it. I expect micro scratches over time but it's holding up well and I don't see any even in LED lighting. I guess I'm lucky so far.

Cool. Fingerprints are a given aren't they? I guess I just expect them and they don't bother me. But now that you mention it I don't think the Duraglass has as many prints as the actual Apple Glass. And the tempered glass does seem more "silky".......if that is even possible.

A friend of mine has to buy new glass every 3 months or so but then she puts her iPhone 6S plus in a purse and it is always chipping in the edges. Likely because it is hitting keys or whatever girls put in their purses these days...

robertk328

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site

This. The steam in the shower will keep the dust to a minimum, while the tape you can slide under the screen protector (just lift it slightly) to grab some dust if it does get under there.

timocrates

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site
I had the same 9H for a year and a half, in the past and only replaced it because it chipped.

I wonder about glass screen protectors. I had one which shattered. No dropping, no striking against hard objects; I placed the phone in my pocket and when I retrieved it the protector was cracked. No damage to the phone at all.

'Sup with that?

TwitchyPuppy

Jun 3, 2015
Visit site
I wonder about glass screen protectors. I had one which shattered. No dropping, no striking against hard objects; I placed the phone in my pocket and when I retrieved it the protector was cracked. No damage to the phone at all.

'Sup with that?

It probably had a weak spot, somewhere.
Or you made a specific move and it protected your screen

timocrates

Jan 24, 2017
Visit site

I did precisely the same. And the glass shattered in a couple months. It was then I found out  has nothing further to do with the project. You are now dealing with Belkin, and they will make good on the warranty if you retain your receipt, but guess who is now in charge of the application.

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
In some of the review videos for the glass screen protector's, you would assume the outer protector would shatter first, but some videos showed the screen underneath still absorbing the energy and the Apple glass shattering. Physics Play in important role in things like this but I'm assuming that if the outside screen takes a great force the energy will transfer to the actual Apple screen as well.

Eclipse2K

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
I did precisely the same. And the glass shattered in a couple months. It was then I found out  has nothing further to do with the project. You are now dealing with Belkin, and they will make good on the warranty if you retain your receipt, but guess who is now in charge of the application.

Wait, Apple doesn't have the machine anymore? I don't mind installing Glass but with all displays curving at the edges it's a pain to line up...

Or you mean you're in charge if it shatters and you get a replacement? If so, bummer Apple wouldn't install it for you. I'm pretty sure I could get them to install it at the store but who knows.

Eclipse2K

Jul 17, 2016
Visit site
Actually, I'm not sure if they would install the shield had I returned to the  store. I just figured they wouldn't, as they were out of the loop on the warranty, so I did it myself.

They did it better.

I'm fairly certain they would install it for you so long as it has the 4 holes within the install tabs. They're not about to turn down customers of their products over a silly 60 second installation.

CyreneK

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
I'm using one I bought at Walmart called Tzumi Pro Glass. It was $10 and comes with a frame for installation. I actually only bought it for the frame, but ended up really liking the glass. I've had it on six months and it's still perfect. Prior to install, I clean the screen and then cover it with the masking tape from a lint roller I remove the tape in one swipe just prior to applying the protector. Perfect every time.

Zaggs are good, but I often get a halo because I think they are cut too wide. I had tried Belkin, Installed by Apple, and I returned it after two days. It was so smudgey, I couldn't stand it. And the edges were rough. Maybe they've improved since then, but I never went back to it.

anon(9721108)

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
I'm using one I bought at Walmart called Tzumi Pro Glass. It was $10 and comes with a frame for installation. I actually only bought it for the frame, but ended up really liking the glass. I've had it on six months and it's still perfect. Prior to install, I clean the screen and then cover it with the masking tape from a lint roller I remove the tape in one swipe just prior to applying the protector. Perfect every time.

Zaggs are good, but I often get a halo because I think they are cut too wide. I had tried Belkin, Installed by Apple, and I returned it after two days. It was so smudgey, I couldn't stand it. And the edges were rough. Maybe they've improved since then, but I never went back to it.

Do you think it matters if some of them "flex" more or less than other brands? Maybe they would be less prone to breakage if they "give" a little in the flex department. Maybe tougher....

According to some of the YouTube reviews they always test for flexing but they don't want to go to far because I know it will break eventually.

CyreneK

Aug 5, 2016
Visit site
I can't say. I've never really had one break except for once when I was on a ride at Cedar Point. I usually replace once the anti-fingerprint coating wears off. So far, this Walmart one I'm using has yet to have that happen which is unusual after 6 months.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jobaeit