Low Power mode drains more battery than regular mode?

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
A few months ago I stopped using low power mode on my iPhone 7 because I was noticing that it was using more battery life than with the mode turned off. On the 6s I had before the 7, I used low power mode all the time since when the mode was turned off my battery dropped rapidly. Has anyone else noticed this with their 7?

fatfury

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
I haven't noticed it with low power mode but have noticed night shift uses more battery life. I only mention that because for me, typically my battery gets low around the time the sun goes down where I live which I have set for night shift to auto turn on. By chance have you notice needing to put in low battery mode when nightshift is activated just by coincidence?

KingBuick

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
I haven't noticed it with low power mode but have noticed night shift uses more battery life. I only mention that because for me, typically my battery gets low around the time the sun goes down where I live which I have set for night shift to auto turn on. By chance have you notice needing to put in low battery mode when nightshift is activated just by coincidence?

I don't use Night Shift at all.

Ledsteplin

Ambassador
Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
It shouldn't make any difference. All Low power mode does is turn off some stuff.
It should be better with Low power mode on. If it's not, then it's another reason.

fury

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Sounds to me like it could be a bad battery or maybe some wildly inconsistent usage between the two scenarios. It's really, really hard to control the variables--from day to day even in the same area, your phone may have very different power requirements for talking to the cell towers (e.g. suppose the tower nearest you were down for maintenance, your phone would have to crank up the radio power to talk to the next farthest tower, etc.)

If you notice this very consistently, even though your usage doesn't vary drastically, you may want to have it checked out at an Apple Store if possible. Grab some data points, keep track of roughly how long you're using it, for what, and where, and see if any patterns arise.

I notice my phone drains very quickly around lunch time, because I tend to go out to eat at a place where the signal is really low and I flip through a lot of Flipboard and twitter, which load heavy gifs and web pages and ads and whatnot.

Incidentally, low power mode used to prevent night shift from turning on. I wonder what the power impact of night shift actually is.

Anshul_J

Aug 31, 2016
Visit site
A few months ago I stopped using low power mode on my iPhone 7 because I was noticing that it was using more battery life than with the mode turned off. On the 6s I had before the 7, I used low power mode all the time since when the mode was turned off my battery dropped rapidly. Has anyone else noticed this with their 7?

yup, i have experienced the same thing on my iPhone 7.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
This has not been my experience. Low Power Mode has worked as advertised for me. Can you tell me how much worse your battery is in this mode?

Kylie Ahrens

Jul 6, 2018
Visit site
I don’t have a 7, but my SE acts the same way. Last year, I put my phone on low power mode, and my battery started draining quickly. A few minutes later, it froze at 5%, then died. After that, I don’t use the mode anymore.

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FallDesigner