Is it better & cost effective in the long run to go with Applecare+ or protective accessories?

Bushkesh

Dec 27, 2016
Visit site
Recently bought an iPhone 7 and decided not to get the Applecare+. Now after being unsatisfied with screen protectors that fit well or look aesthetically pleasing I'm reconsidering the AC+ and keeping the phone naked. Considering the cost of AC+ phone replacement fee, would it be worthwhile or is it cost effective in the long run to just stick with accessories and hope for the best? I'm thinking $130+$99 vs spending $10-20 every few months or so on accessories. I will be replacing the phone after a year. Please need help to decide before my 30days eligibility runs out. Thanks.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Applecare+ or protective accessories?

You have 60 days from the date of purchase to get AppleCare+. I'm a person who refuses to encase my iPhone or put a screen protector on it and my devices always look brand new when I get rid of them. Having said that, I do get AppleCare+ for them, and it gives me peace of mind knowing that I won't have to fork out a good deal of money for a replacement if something were to happen. Know what I mean? With that in mind, 10 to 20 bucks every few months may be cheaper than getting AC+, especially if you're only going to keep the device one year.

Bushkesh

Dec 27, 2016
Visit site

You have 60 days from the date of purchase to get AppleCare+. I'm a person who refuses to encase my iPhone or put a screen protector on it and my devices always look brand new when I get rid of them. Having said that, I do get AppleCare+ for them, and it gives me peace of mind knowing that I won't have to fork out a good deal of money for a replacement if something were to happen. Know what I mean? With that in mind, 10 to 20 bucks every few months may be cheaper than getting AC+, especially if you're only going to keep the device one year.

Was reading on a few Google searched threads and it mentioned 30days from the date of purchase. But if you can source where it says 60days I'd appreciate it. I've used my previous Nexus devices all naked without any issues other than hairline scratches on the screen. But for double the price of the iphone it only seems fair that I use some sort of protection for it. Thanks for the input.

Just_Me_D

Ambassador Team Leader, Senior Moderator
Jan 8, 2012
Visit site

Was reading on a few Google searched threads and it mentioned 30days from the date of purchase. But if you can source where it says 60days I'd appreciate it. I've used my previous Nexus devices all naked without any issues other than hairline scratches on the screen. But for double the price of the iphone it only seems fair that I use some sort of protection for it. Thanks for the input.

IMG_0028.JPG

Source: AppleCare+ for iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 6s, and iPhone 6s Plus - Apple

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site

I've never purchased AC+. I, too, only keep my devices for a year at a time. In addition to that, I take really good care of my phones. Everyone's use case is different. I've never needed the additional warranty, but many many people on this forum swear by it.

nthknd

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site

I use my carriers insurance only because they cover lost and theft. That's kinda important to me.

Abu Khadija

Oct 19, 2016
Visit site

Except for my 15" rMBP, I never got AppleCare on any of my stuff, not even my 9.7" iPad Pro. But when I got the big pro, I got AppleCare on it right away without question. One of the reasons I got it was I seen on this forum that someone cracked his screen and apple said $600 because he didn't have AppleCare. I would buy a case for it at least. That way you have some kind of protection.

For those of you that have there phones for only one year. I would think that unless your on the apple thing that you return it after a year, if you get AppleCare on it and sell it, you might be able to sell it for a little more I think. Never tried this myself.

Bushkesh

Dec 27, 2016
Visit site

I take pretty good care of my phones. Never mix it with other stuff in my pocket or experienced a shattered screen at least back when I went through Nexus devices using them naked. With an iPhone I'm not too sure I'll probably wait and see for another month before deciding if I really want an AC+.

Lory Gil

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site

Apple Care only partially covers cosmetic damage, which it sounds like you are the most worried about. If you crack your screen, AC+ will replace it for $29. If you crack some other part of the hardware due to dropping it, AC+ will repair it for $99 (and you're only covered for 2 incidents). You're better off getting a nice, rugged case for your iPhone. That being said, AC+ is invaluable for other technical issues that may arise.

Bushkesh

Dec 27, 2016
Visit site

Apple Care only partially covers cosmetic damage, which it sounds like you are the most worried about. If you crack your screen, AC+ will replace it for $29. If you crack some other part of the hardware due to dropping it, AC+ will repair it for $99 (and you're only covered for 2 incidents). You're better off getting a nice, rugged case for your iPhone. That being said, AC+ is invaluable for other technical issues that may arise.

Wait I thought for $99 you get a replacement rather than repairs.

o4liberty

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site

If you are going to keep the device for Two years then apple care is the best choice it has the Lowest deductibles of any insurance.

Bushkesh

Dec 27, 2016
Visit site

you are pretty organized man . For most of us , i think we should get Otterbox

No way dude that thing is fugly I've settled for a dbrand skin with a bumper case. Actually I was considering the Otterbox Symmetry at one point but then what would I do with all the skins I purchased.

metalchick719

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Re: Is it better & cost effective in the long run to go with Applecare+ or protective accessories?

I've personally never gotten Apple Care but never actually needed it. It depends on how you are with your devices, I guess. My boyfriend bought two years worth of Apple Care when he bought his iPhone SE back in August, but he and electronic devices don't exactly mix, lol. If you regularly drop your iPhone or whatnot, then it's definitely worth it. I'm extremely careful with my iPhone and have it in a case at all times (also more recently got tempered glass screen protectors for it, so I don't find it necessary.

bales_83

Jan 13, 2017
Visit site
Re: Is it better & cost effective in the long run to go with Applecare+ or protective accessories?

I haven't bought AppleCare for many many years and I've been fine. If something goes wrong I'll suck up the cost and replace it, I just stick it in a case and whack a screen protector on and hope for the best.

Trending Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smitty22d2