Sprint iPhone 7 & 7 plus NOT compatible with Verizon?

blackcats

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
So I have an unlocked 7+ from the upgrade program and, after 20+ years of horrible signal at home with Sprint, decided to switch to Verizon. I was shocked to be told by Verizon that currently they are not able to connect Sprint iPhone 7/7+'s due to an incompatibility issue. I told the rep that they are the same radios and he said there is something in the Sprint version that is giving them trouble connecting? He also said that the 6 and 6S wasn't a problem just the 7's. He spoke to his supervisor and said they are hoping to resolve this soon and took my number to call me when the problem was solved. Has anyone successfully switched from Sprint to Verizon with a 7 or 7+? I thought the Sprint and Verizon 7/7+'s were identical? Am I missing something?

Tags: gia xe yaris 2017 bao nhieu, xe tai 3,5 tan hyundai

Last edited:

Fit24

Trusted Member
Aug 9, 2012
Visit site
My understanding is the iPhone 7 from Verizon and Sprint is compatible with Verizon, Sprint, T-Mobile, and AT&T.

jay_woolridge

Nov 12, 2016
Visit site
So I have an unlocked 7+ from the upgrade program and, after 20+ years of horrible signal at home with Sprint, decided to switch to Verizon. I was shocked to be told by Verizon that currently they are not able to connect Sprint iPhone 7/7+'s due to an incompatibility issue. I told the rep that they are the same radios and he said there is something in the Sprint version that is giving them trouble connecting? He also said that the 6 and 6S wasn't a problem just the 7's. He spoke to his supervisor and said they are hoping to resolve this soon and took my number to call me when the problem was solved. Has anyone successfully switched from Sprint to Verizon with a 7 or 7+? I thought the Sprint and Verizon 7/7+'s were identical? Am I missing something?

There are many others they may have already said the said the same thing. Since the iPhone 5S, Apple has been producing a single device with all of the radios in them. They were making a stance they would no longer make multiple variations for specific carriers. As a former telecom employee, I know this to be a fact. A few other manufacturers has done the same thing, like Nexus 5X & 6P.

XyThe Guy

Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
I think with the newer generation phones and current tech, most- to all phone companies are trying to monopolize their phones in each phone carrier. Like, Apple knows people are inclined to switch from Sprint to Verizon, and they want to stop that because they could be selling more iPhones than people transferring carriers. They can sell more iPhones that way. If you might not have noticed yet, Apple is only there for the money.

Spencerdl

Apple Watch Champion
Jan 10, 2013
Visit site

The Verizon employees wasn't exactly truthful.....
fdc2c83cd32afe26be097ca50167fe73.jpg

This is a screenshot from the back of my Jet Black 7 Plus iPhone Box. Nothing about specific carriers.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site

There are many others they may have already said the said the same thing. Since the iPhone 5S, Apple has been producing a single device with all of the radios in them. They were making a stance they would no longer make multiple variations for specific carriers. As a former telecom employee, I know this to be a fact. A few other manufacturers has done the same thing, like Nexus 5X & 6P.

My AT&T iPhone 5S, while unlocked for any GSM networks, doesn't have an MEID or any way to activate on a CDMA 2000 network. This is despite having exact same and full hardware of every other iPhone 5S. The iPhone 6 and 6S will work on any network, CDMA 2000 included, as long as it is paid off in full and not under any obligation to it's original carrier.

eyecrispy

iPhone 7, iPad Pro & Apple Watch Champion
Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Have you tried putting a Verizon sim in the phone? Find a friend with Verizon and give it a shot. I bet it works.

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site

Have you tried putting a Verizon sim in the phone? Find a friend with Verizon and give it a shot. I bet it works.

Yup. My unlocked iPhone 5S is not compatible with Verizon. With a Verizon SIM, I get a pop up "waiting for activation", then to call a number (Verizon customer care) to activate and then I am told my phone can't be activated. When I go to the Verizon "Bring your own device" website and put in my IMEI, I am told my device is not compatible. When I go to settings/about, there is no MEID.

It has nothing to do with A SIM card. The SIM card on the iPhone 5S for Verizon is only for LTE. The iPhone 5S doesn't do VoLTE. My iPhone 5S can't be activated to Verizon. The CDMA 2000 radio is not even enabled on it. There is no ESN or MEID. Not even on the box.

Last edited:

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
Re: Sprint iPhone 7 & 7 plus NOT compatible with Verizon?

Yup. My unlocked iPhone 5S is not compatible with Verizon. With a Verizon SIM, I get a pop up "waiting for activation", then to call a number (Verizon customer care) to activate and then I am told my phone can't be activated. When I go to the Verizon "Bring your own device" website and put in my IMEI, I am told my device is not compatible. When I go to settings/about, there is no MEID.

It has nothing to do with A SIM card. The SIM card on the iPhone 5S for Verizon is only for LTE. The iPhone 5S doesn't do VoLTE. My iPhone 5S can't be activated to Verizon. The CDMA 2000 radio is not even enabled on it. There is no ESN or MEID. Not even on the box.

I was asking about the 7. The 5s is a different beast. The 7 should work.

Rmorton0573

Nov 27, 2014
Visit site

It will only work if your Sprint device had been paid off. Otherwise that iPhone is locked to Sprint.....Sprint sucks like that

That's true if he purchased from Sprint, but the OP stated that he purchased from Apple on the iPhone upgrade program. In that case the phone is unlocked and usable on any carrier that supports the 7/7+ radio technology. In this case Sprint to any carrier, as the Sprint/Verizon model is both CDMA & GSM compatible. That's one of the benefits of iUP

079d07e38043ac7f26f49cacc58445de.png

Last edited:

scruffypig

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site

That's true if he purchased from Sprint, but the OP stated that he purchased from Apple on the iPhone upgrade program. In that case the phone is unlocked and usable on any carrier that supports the 7/7+ radio technology. In this case Sprint to any carrier, as the Sprint/Verizon model is both CDMA & GSM compatible. That's one of the benefits of iUP

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161118/079d07e38043ac7f26f49cacc58445de.png

If the customer bought his iPhone 7/7+ from Apple as part of the iPhone Upgrade Program, to use on Sprint, it is not the "Sprint" model which is carrier locked to Sprint until paid off. There is no payment obligation to Sprint for the iPhone. The iPhone model would be the same as the SIM free model. Apple doesn't care who you use your iPhone with for a iPhone bought with the iPhone Upgrade Program. They only have you make a selection as to one of the big four carries, for convenience and some phone companies make you sign a contract for cell service.

Last edited:

nikkisharif

Ambassador
Jun 2, 2011
Visit site

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20161118/079d07e38043ac7f26f49cacc58445de.png

I missed that part...Thanks

I just feel the people in carrier stores don't care to know much about these phones. All they care about is the sale. My boyfriend's 5S (T-mo) was a mess, so I gave him my 6S (Verizon). Since he couldn't get the sim out the old phone he went and got a new one and the rep told him it wouldn't work in that phone. Needless to say, he listened to me for the first time in his life and the 6S is working perfectly lol

eyecrispy

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site

I missed that part...Thanks

I just feel the people in carrier stores don't care to know much about these phones. All they care about is the sale. My boyfriend's 5S (T-mo) was a mess, so I gave him my 6S (Verizon). Since he couldn't get the sim out the old phone he went and got a new one and the rep told him it wouldn't work in that phone. Needless to say, he listened to me for the first time in his life and the 6S is working perfectly lol

Lol. Maybe he will learn to appreciate your wisdom more now.